Luggage Rack + DIY Side Case

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to take my Vitpilen on some overnight camping trips, but have been frustrated by Husky’s lack of available really good & spacious luggage options, and the crazy prices & lack of options on the aftermarket. One day, I was browsing around the interwebs and stumbled on this rack made specifically for our favorite white arrow:

https://www.unitgarage.com/special_parts/bags_and_accessories/husqvarna_401_frame

Here’s what it looks like installed:

The Italian company that makes the rack also makes some beautiful waxed canvas saddlebags, but holy pricey, Batman, and I wanted a proper hard side case. I noticed in the photos that the clip that connects those canvas bags to the rack were a German product called “KlickFix.” The US retailer for that item is called VeloFred, so I bought a $32.50 clip and a $30 Harbor Freight Tools Pelican-knockoff case called the Apache 3800. Links:

Rack clip by KlickFix: https://www.velofred.com/product_info.php?products_id=84

Luggage case: https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-weatherproof-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTcwMDMyOTEiLCJza3UiOiI2MzkyNyIsImlzIjoiMjkuOTkifQ

15 minutes of drilling later, I had my very own DIY Vitpilen 401 luggage rack system!

Thoughts now that it’s done:

• I went for the KlickFix clip that had a locking mechanism. You can elect to get one without a lock and save drilling a big hole for the lock cylinder.
    • The rack from UnitGarage shipped to the US from Italy incredibly fast. It’s very well built, fit perfectly, and is lighter than the grab bar that comes with the bike.
    • Gripe: to clear the exhaust, the right side is for a tool roll, not a second luggage case. I’ve yet to ride with the case loaded, so no word on how it’ll affect the balance of the ride. The majority of my luggage weight will be a bag on the back of the seat; the luggage rack provides me hard points on which to tie down a bag.
    • Drilling holes in the Apache case will obviously destroy the waterproofing unless you do a silicone seal of some kind. I haven’t yet, but may if water becomes a big problem.
    • The larger 4800 Apache case also cleared the bike (based on a parking lot eyeball “measurement”), but I went for the 3800 to save some weight and bulk, at the expense of storage space.
    • You can leave on the left side passenger foot peg, but it’ll have to stay down, as it is in my photo. The 4800 case would probably require removing that foot peg, which doesn’t appear to hold anything like on the right side, where it holds up the exhaust.

That’s it! Glad to have spent about $250 after all is said and done, instead of the $500-$900 I was seeing on RevZilla, for bikes that weren’t even mine!

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Looks good, great set up!!  I like the Unit Garage rack in fact I like it so much I order it with the black bag . Just received it today, you’re  correct, very fast shipping to the US. (Still in box)

The question I have; can you put the rack on and keep the original grab bar, using longer bolts ?  ( Or would that look too weird). I already have a tool bag to put on the Unit Garage right side bar, but like the look of the original grab bar.

Kylander79Kylander79
    Participant

@vitmaster: Very well done! Great thought, great documentation of what U did.

Still shaken about the price strategy of KTM about spare parts & accessories. If U buy a 1290 SuperDuke for 17.000 Euros, some accessory parts won’t screw you. But buying a “budget” bike around 5-6.000, well, it’s a different story…

Participant

Hey rod frost, I couldn’t say! I haven’t tried it. Throw some pics up if you go this route.

Participant

@Kylander79, I see what you’re saying. As long as they stay in business to keep making great bikes across all price points! And thanks. Glad you like the setup.

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

I did end up putting  the rack on and keep the original grab bar, (using longer bolts).

Participant

This is very impressive.

I am going to copy this to a T!

How did you get the luggage carrier to the USA? Were they willing to ship?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by AvatarBertio.
    rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Bertio, the rear rack came from the shop on this forum (hit on Shop at top of page ). The side rack came from Unit Garage : https://www.unitgarage.com/special_parts/bags_and_accessories/waxed_suede_side_pannier_subframe_husqvarna_401

They have fast shipping  to the US , no problem.

Participant

Looks great! I do like how it turned out with the rear seat rack and the grab bar, plus the all black. Nice.

Participant

Very clever. Looks great. Does anyone know if  it fits on the Svartpilen 401? Are the under seat grab handle mounting holes the same?

Participant

Hey AndyN, yup, totally is the same mounting hole pattern. You should be good to go!

Participant

Hey! I just got a 2019 svartpilen and only got 29 kms on it before the snow fell. Looking at adding some luggage and yours looks great. Can you upload more pictures or even a list of all the mods you’ve added? You’ve got lots of the pieces I’ve been looking at getting!

Participant

Hi adrianenns, thanks for posting. Congrats on your new bike. I feel like I and the other Svartpilen owner Rod Frost uploaded plenty of photos and links to parts for you to get started on your own customization journey earlier in this thread. The only other mod I did was a new triple clamp by ABM (https://spieglerusa.com/handlebar-conversion-kit-22036.html) and some ProTaper bars for a more comfortable riding position. Good luck 🙂

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Last mod I did was the USB plug on the handle bars, the thread is under USB plug.

Participant

This is great – thanks for the post!

It’s so great, in fact, that I just ordered all the pieces to drop onto my Vit401

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.