Leo Vince cat eliminator mid pipe fitting


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #27412
    coelacanthcoelacanth
    Participant

    Hi guys,

    I’m hoping someone can articulate and/or show how the de-cat mid pipe by Leo Vince is fitted to the bike. When I tried earlier, two issues occurred:

    1) The shock absorbing bushing/washer/bolt thing didn’t go all the way into the eyelet of the frame where the cat was original mounted at. It got tighter and got stuck about half way in. It’s not cross-threaded and the thread pitch seems to be correct (identical to the original bolt that held the cat). Likely because the rubber bushing is basically holding two-sided screws with no real gripping point, I had hard time trying to screw that in or out. I might just have to chase the threads, but I want to see if I’m missing something obvious.

    2) Even if the shock absorber is all the way in, it doesn’t look like the mid pipe will align/fit with the header and the eyelet of the frame if you were to put stack parts up as the instruction depicts. If I remove the shock absorber completely, the eyelets of the mid pipe and the frame seem to align perfectly. Again, I may be missing something obvious. Below is my understanding of how parts should stack up based on the instruction provided with the mid pipe.

    Any observations, pictures or tricks will be much appreciated.

    #27413
    coelacanthcoelacanth
    Participant

    I’ve looked around and I found a thread about LV mid pipe fitting issue with KTM 690. Basically the OP there needed to loosen the header part, fit the entire exhaust parts and yank the mid pipe a little to put everting in place. I’m gonna try that,  at least other than the yanking part.

    As for the shock absorber fitting, I’m gonna try using mild thread lock or WD40 as a temporary lube plus see if I can chase/clean the threads on the frame side a little, but I wanna make sure I’m not misunderstanding the use/fitting of the absorber. Would be great if someone who has the decat pipe can chime in.

    #27423
    coelacanthcoelacanth
    Participant

    Well, I solved both problems and my self-reply above describes the solutions. Updating here for someone who might be searching for same/similar issues in the future.

    #27654
    Avatarbigdog1250
    Participant

    Thanks for the updates, I too had issues getting the shock absorber tightened all the way down but since it’s supposed to flex a bit anyway, figured I got it in far enough.

    Are you saying that with a little WD40 as lube, you were able to tighten it all the way on?  Might need to go back and try this if so.  Just scared to decouple the exhaust clamps again as they are such a pain to get on.

    #27656
    coelacanthcoelacanth
    Participant

    I chased the threads on the frame eyelet with a regular screw with a bit of grease, cleaned, and the shock absorber went in all the way without issue by hand tightening. Considering how all parts fit in, it’s very unlikely the absorber would get loose even with a bit of lube left there. I just didn’t want to leave the absorber halfway in/out, potentially causing stress to the frame/eyelet when it flexes. I’ve had about 400 miles of city and b-road twisties since then and had no issues whatsoever.

    Hope this helps!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.