Lättpilen – My lightweight Vitpilen in the making

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    asphaltrocketeerasphaltrocketeer
    Participant

Hi guys. First of all, this is going to be a long(er) term project and thread. So please don’t be disappointed because of slow progress. My Vitpilen is not my only project and it has to be a full-running bike at all times.

I purchased my 2020 Vitpilen by the end of September 2021. It’s a Euro4 model with a special permit to be registered after Euro5 came into effect by the beginning of this year. I bought it as a standard model with no modifications whatsoever. After filling it up, I rode it 35 kilometers (21 miles) to some friends who own a proper scale for motorcycles.

The weight after that ride was 167 kg (368 lbs). So that’s where I’m starting. My goal is to get it as light as possible without going too mental with this project. But I haven’t decided yet, what “too mental” means exactly. It should deserve the name Lättpilen (light arrow) though. Starting with a motorcycle that is already pretty light for its power makes it slightly more challenging. But who doesn’t like a good challenge?

Some parts are already on the way and some parts I’ll build or modify myself. Getting her below 160 kg (352 lbs) shouldn’t be too tough, but we will see.

Here she is in all her brand new glory. As mentioned, nothing special. Yet!

vitpilen 701

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Interesting. What parts are you going for initially?

Participant

I’ll start with a carbon fiber license plate holder. Besides being lighter per se it also helps to reduce the unsprung mass as it deletes the original solution. The second box contains a delete kit for the passenger foot pegs. An aluminum exhaust strut and a little cover for the bolt holes on the left side.

I’ll keep track of the weights of all parts, stock, and replacement. To create an easy overview for those who are interested.

A few more carbon fiber parts are planned since this is quite an easy way to shed weight. A few of these I’ll build myself. Titanium exhaust is a must for me, furthermore small bits and pieces will be replaced with lighter options. Oh, and let’s not forget the heavy battery.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Yup, easy to shave off a few kg:

Remove tail tidy
    LiFePo battery
    Remove the carbon canister/SAS
    Remove pillion pegs
    some small bits and bobs here and there

and you should be closer to 150kg (that’s what I weighed mine at a while ago).

Participant

Wow, 150 kg sounds great. If this really is achievable that easy I’d get under 150 kg easily. But we will see if it really works that way.

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Have you found a ti exhaust somwhere or are you going to make the exhaust yourself?

Are you gonna go carbon wheel mental on this projekt?

Participant

I’m aiming for the Arrow titanium muffler. Also because of the punny coincidence. A titanium header would have to be homemade, let’s wait how mental this would be rated. Carbon wheels are way over the top for sure. At least until my Cryptowallet goes crazy one day.

Participant

Very interesting subject. My 701 weighs 150 kg (empty tank) in track configuration (see other forum).

Except expensive wheels, the last possibilities for me are the pillion seat cover (ref 21007947044), in fact a seat replacement, and a carbon mudguard.

But the Husky pillion seat cover is no longer available. I also have to take a carbon one.

What idea do you have for these two parts ?

I’ve seen the nlcarbon parts but I don’t like their back cover very much.

Participant

Actually, I do like the pillion seat cover by NLCarbon. I won’t stick with the carbon look though, I prefer some color. A carbon mudguard seems not available somewhere. Yet. I know NLCarbon is thinking about building something. I’ll get deeper into that whole project during winter. Promised.

If you want the stock look, it shouldn’t be too hard to use the pillion seat as a mold to build a cover with GRP. I don’t know how much effort you’re willing to put into that part.

———

Today my pillion footrest delete arrived. It’s gonna be a lot lighter I assume, but I found some of the hardware a bit exaggerated already. So I might mod that a tiny bit. Sometimes I like to be carried away with little details like that. For my Ducati, I’ve built fairing rods out of aluminum and carbon fiber to save 60g (2.1oz). Just leaving my wallet at home would save me more weight. But it was good fun building this.

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

@FaNaTic

Buy me a nlcarbon Seat cover and i send you my husky pillion cover for free😊.

I dont like the design of the original cover with its Hole,crater or what its name could be.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 4 hours ago by SvePilSvePil.
    Participant

@ asphaltrocketee

For the mudguard, it’s the front one that I will change for carbon (these are available).

For the seat, yes I’m thinking of making it. I’ve already made my bellypan. Then in this case, I’ll make a whole saddle as it’s a track bike only. By also replacing the rearlight with an rain light (LED bar), I can gain more than 1 kg and have a better seat for racing.

@ SvePil

I also don’t like the shape of the Huky cover with the hole (the best for me is the original seat shape). It was just for the weight gain.

Are you nlcarbon ? I’m very interested in the front fender.

Participant

The front fender is really easy to get. Either NLCarbon or Bad Winners is offering one. The NLCarbon version is slightly cheaper but won’t work in full carbon optics, unlike the Bad Winners front fender.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.