Issues with the Instrument

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone else also have an issue with the plastic instrument on the Vit 701 warping?

Word of warning – DO NOT use the buttons on a hot day to adjust anything.  The instrument is to be adjusted in cool conditions only.

I’ve put in my warranty claim.  Apparently up to six months for the new part, if replacement is approved.

As soon as the warranty is done on this bike a motogadget instrument will be installed.  One that is ‘simple’ and ‘progressive’ … and ‘functional’, and although smaller has a larger readable area.  There will be a new mask created from carbon or fiberglass for it to sit in.  But like everyone else I’m stuck with this thing until I’ve had the bike for two tears.

The stock instrument is the but of many jones, and it deserves to be. Its not simple like a single cylinder motorcycle concept.  Its just a production cost saver, and its garbage.  Before it warped I could at least take my eyes off the road and study it for the tiny gear number and other details on its left side.  Now I can’t read that at all.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I agree it’s pretty poor. Mine hasn’t warped, but the buttons are next to impossible to press, especially in cold weather and with gloves on. Mine is full of condensation to the point where it’s sometimes difficult to read. I’m hoping that Badwinners will release a display for the Svartpilen 401 so I can swap. Waiting for some reviews and pics first though.

Participant

Here’s what I want to use.  It has a no fuss look about it.  Its small but is all display.  The dot matrix is easy to read even at extreme vibration, and I think suits the Vit simplicity.  Its programable, the rev range in the pic looks about right for the 701.  And its very well made, a solid piece of kit.  If I can’t make the warranty claim its also cheaper than the stock (which is crazy expensive, despite its shitness).

Participant
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

“Word of warning – DO NOT use the buttons on a hot day to adjust anything.  The instrument is to be adjusted in cool conditions only.”

Why told you that? It’s utter BS imho. I live in a warm climate, so half the year it’s over 25 degrees, if not warmer. And I never had a problem using the buttons. I do not leave my bike out in the sun all day, so maybe that makes a difference.

Agreed though, it’s a shite dash. Hard to read, some have buttons that hardly work (my buddy’s Svart for instance, mine are ok) and way too basic/cheap for a bike like the 701…..

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Not going to be an easy job fitting the motogadget display, I’m in the process of trying to work out how to get the neural and fault light function connected unto one !

Participant

Hey thanks Dark,

It seems there are few options here.  Seems an aftermarket is emerging seeing as how crap the unit is.  I’ve recently posted the response I got from Walid at Bad Winners. Plug and play appeals to me.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  The stock unit is way past just looking bad and being hard to read.  Its not functional and is also of poor build quality, its just crap.  It reminds me of a very expensive CD player I bought in the 90’s that the marketing department had got hold of just before it hit production and put a cheap CD ROM disk draw in to get it to hit a price point.  Let the whole thing down as that was a critical part of the user experience.

Participant

Max,

Its sometimes 40 plus celsius in Western Australia…  The bike is sold in Western Australia as it is in other warm climates.  It doesn’t come with any warning about special treatment for the dash so it doesn’t warp, so mine has.

If you think 25c is hot I’m not sure what to say to that…  But thanks for the consensus.  I am yet to meet even one person that when they’re honest, thinks the instrument is fit for purpose.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by AvatarNEO701.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by AvatarNEO701.
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

@NEO701 I know what you mean, and I think we agree. I live in Souther California, where it’s over 25 degrees 250 days out of the year. And yes, we get 40+ too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.