interstate speeds wobble (PCH california)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

Hey guys so i was reluctant on weather or not this would be a viable question as i do not know how many people take their 401 on the freeway. since i had purchased this bike i’ve been getting a slight wobble at high speeds on Californians 101 freeway is this normal is this issue something a steering damper would solve ? is there something wrong with my unit ? or am i not used to the bike?

keep in mind i’ve been riding heavy ass heck bikes like CB750’s scramblers and cafe racers most of my riding career so the large weight difference is a bit of a shock to my riding tendencies

any advice has anyone else experience the same issue ?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

I know those freeways (we’re neighbors). There could be something wrong with your bike (wheel imbalance), but try to find out first if your bike behaves different on tarmac instead of concrete. All these concrete roads have rain grooves and on some bikes and tires it makes your ride real twitchy.

Barreling down the 405 going south from the Valley is the worst…

Switching tires can make a huge difference here. My DR650 did it on allroad tires, so did my FTr1200 on the stock “flat track” tires. After I switched to Conti road tires it was completely gone. And TKC-70 are also know to be bad on these roads.

A steering damper won’t help here as this is a low frequency oscillation… 🙁

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    Participant

I’m in SoCal too and my 401 is mainly a commuter. My daily ride is about evenly split between service streets, lane-splitting at conservative speeds, and freeway speeds. My bike is still within the breakin period (only 200 miles to go!) so I haven’t sustained speeds above 75, but I’m not getting any wobble like you describe.  It is noticeably lighter than my streetfightered 98 Superhawk and wind does affect me a bit more than it did on that bike.

Sometimes I deliberately wobble the bars at speed and have never scared myself out of doing so.  Hopefully that won’t change…

I will say, there’s one particular spot where I am usually splitting, that has a crack or heave or something that is unsettling. The actual road defect is underneath a wide painted stripe, so I can’t see exactly what it is.  But between the paint, which gives less traction than the asphalt, and that defect, I’ll usually try to be in one lane or the other when I know I’m close.  This affected my last bike too.

So all that to say, it could definitely be the specific road that you’re on.

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

@maxkool hey good to see people nearby ! i do believe its those rain groves on the road that sometimes give me that uneasy feeling as ill be going well above 75 on tarmac roads and no wobble  but to be safe i will test out that theory.

you really think the wheel balance could cause the wobble ?

@reason
    hey man that crack in between lane splits has gotten me a couple times its like a quick wobble that gives you that  oh sh!#t moment. i really want it to be me just needing to get used to the bike.. i have about 700 miles on the odo so im hoping the more i have it out on the road i can get a better highway feel for my vit.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

@Luwys007 75mph is the typical speed where a wheel imbalance becomes noticeable, but like you, I would suspect the rain grooves first… (same with serrated steel bridge decks, near Long Beach for instance).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.