i’m done

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My bike just died. Just like that. Today i was on my first MTF course or motorcycle security riding course, whatever you want to call it. The usual stuff, braking, tight turns, indicating and regular things like that. So my instructor told my acelerate up to fifty and make an emergency stop. I start acelerating, 1st gear all good, 2nd gear *dead*. Engine just cut off and the bike was dead, DEAD dead. Ignition didnt work, bike didnt wanna start, nothing. Later found out with the TCS club (a sercive help if youre broken down) that a relais was cooked. Replaced that, rode for, im not kidding, 10 meters and the engine died again, relais fried, same one. Tried it another 2 times and every time you demand the slightest amount of power from the engine it dies mid-ride and fries the relais. Every single time. Had it towed to the dealership now, lets see what they make of this mess.

If anyone experienced similar things please let me know. Thanks everyone in advance.

Participant

Not what you wanted to hear but my 2018 has been 99% problem free. The engine will cut out at this weird spot between downshifting and blipping the throttle but as there is no need to blip the throttle,  well there is no problem.

After I heard production was going to India I had a feeling quality was going to suffer. Now this is not a slag against India, KTM could have taken manufacturing anywhere and this sentiment would still hold.
    First once you move a production line you will have problems in the manufacturing for the first year or two.
    Second if the point of moving manufacturing is to save money then saving money from cheaper made parts and subassemblies should be expected. Henceforth problems.

So yes the 2018’s aren’t problem free but they were built on the KTM assembly line in Austria and future bikes (2022 & up) will hopefully have less problems.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I have a 2018 SP401 and that was built in India. It appears to have been put together well, but the choice of components and parts does seem to be on the cheap side. Possibly a reason why there are plenty of folks on here with niggling issues on their bikes (me included) that often can’t be resolved. I like my bike enough to put up with it’s faults.

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

If you’re are drying relays. There’s obviously a short ( damaged wire ) somewhere

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

Frying relays .and do you mean fuses. Same result for both but interested in which ones are going bad

Participant

Yes of course, silly mistake. I meant fuses yes. Its always a 15 and it happens everytime when you demand the slightest amount of power. We figured it was a short somewhere too but havent had a chance to look into what goes through that specific fuse. The bikes in the shop now and i got 2 year warranty, i picked the bike up less than a month ago so i dont care. Ill try to find out what the fuse is from tho, ill let you know as soon as i know myself but till i find out, its the 3rd fuse from the right, looking from the back of the bike if my memory serves me right.

stroemstroem
    Participant

@Vanessa are you sure your bike was assembled in India? I thought 2020 was the first year. My 2019 Vitpilen 401 has an Austrian VIN. I don’t think the switch to Indian assembly will affect quality since all the components were built in India and just shipped to Austria for assembly anyway.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

You’re sure it was assembled in Austria? The almost identical Duke 390 is made in India. I looked at the labels on my bike and the components are from India. Why would they ship the parts from a lower cost-base country to a country where it’s more expensive to assemble those parts? That makes little sense to me.

stroemstroem
    Participant

100% sure. My VIN starts with VBK which is an Austrian country code. They didnt move 401 production to India until 2020 model year. I thought they moved production for 2019 but it looks like that got delayed.

Participant

did you bought it by motopro ag ? you can tow it under wartanty with husky service..so no need for tcs..
    i insulated all naked cable parts of the singal plugs etc and some other and placed then nicely more hidden /a bit more protected…but i had the feeling those cable will likely get shacked by vibration or touched from outside / splashes…
    what could happen was your battery moved a bit while train full brake and moved may basic the connection a bit if it was disconnected it should atleast stay 10 min disconnect before reconnect.. that in this case did not
    if its at the dealer ask to read out errors also for your own look…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Avatar-373-Arrow.
    Participant

Alright i got an update. It got fixed. Turned out that the fuel pump was f*cked. They cant say what it was exactly but the fuel pump had a construction error. Shortly explained: Due to the pump malfunctioning the bike wasnt able to compesate the air in the tank properly. That led to a stronger and stronger becoming vacuum inside the tank. And because of THAT, the pump sucked up so much voltage that it fried everything, the pump, the battery and the fuses all at once in its last cycle.

It got fixed under warranty tho so no worries. About 2000CHF in fixes on a bike that was about 2 months old and had 800km on the odometer. Crazy, but it runs well now. Even has more power now lol, or at least it feels more powerful.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

In other words, the tank had a breathing/ventilation problem, which ruined the fuel pump?

(fuel tanks are not sucked vacuum normally)

Participant

hmm i wonder if there are more specialized fuel pumps out there that do a better job then the original one…

https://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5534

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar-373-Arrow.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.