Help needed from anyone who has fitted the ABM super bike kit!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, this is my first time posting but I’ve been lurking for a few months now. I have asked my poor husband to fit the ABM riser bar kit to my 701 and he’s gotten as far as putting the new bars on but the front brake hose & throttle housing cables are nowhere near long enough.

I’ve seen some posts saying that you don’t need to fit longer hoses/cables but from a google translation of the Hints at the front of the ABM booklet it seems to say that longer ones are needed.

Is there some secret way of making the cables longer? Is it possible that some are built with less slack in the cables?

My husband is not a motorcycle mechanic but is pretty good with this sort of stuff and has worked on his own MX bikes for years, but he’s not confident he has the know how or tools to fit new cables & hoses as it looks like the whole tank would need to come off.

Before I end up asking my local dealer to sort it out can anyone give any advice on how to get this sorted at home?!

Thanks.

NampusNampus
    Participant

As far as I can tell you should be able to keep the original cables and lines, but the steering lock is reduced because the cables are not long enough for full steering lock. The right side is limited more then the left side according to abm.

https://ab-m.de/de/motorradzubehoer-shop-details/1/test/20/kit-superbike?model=3213

“Hinweis: Der Lenkeinschlag wird durch den Umbau auf den Superbike Lenker begrenzt. Auf der rechten Seite mehr wie auf der linken.”

Maybe it’s possible to reroute the wires and lines a little to get more slack?

Participant

Sorry, I can’t help with fitment. But, I bought the SvartPillen recently. I was wondering if you were going to sell the clip on and triple clamp? PM if you are.

thanks

NampusNampus
    Participant

@Jedijoy13 where are you located, there is a set for sale in the Netherlands.

Participant

@nampus, I’m in the US, so shipping probably would make it prohibitive.

Thanks though!

Participant

Hi all, so in case anyone is interested, we got it sorted without having to change any cables etc. I noticed there was quite a lot of cable tucked up & zip-tied under the tank to keep it neat, so by carefully cutting the zip-ties we could free up plenty of cable & clutch hose, the front brake hose didn’t have a slack but by re-routing slightly (around the outside of the fork leg) there was enough for free movement of everything. In the instructions it says to remove the right tank cover but doesn’t explain why, I guess it’s to get at the zip-ties but it doesn’t explain that. Anyway, thought this might help others. Did a couple of 5 – 6 hour rides a few days ago & it’s much more comfortable & all seemed to work perfectly, which I guess it should as we didn’t actually have to change any cables or hoses.

PS: sorry, I’m not selling the original clamps etc in case I want to switch back/sell it as original

NampusNampus
    Participant

Nice! Good to hear you got it all sorted! Enjoy your bike!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.