hello there and a seat question…

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just saying hello from the UK. I test rode a Svartpilen a couple of weeks ago, fell for it instantly, and I’m picking mine up on Monday. It was a hoot.

If there’s one thing that nearly put me off, its the seat. I’m probably not the target market, being an old motorcyclist with a garage of ancient Brit classics and found that seat is jolly firm, so I asked the dealer to order the replacement perch, but it hasn’t arrived yet. Has anyone fitted it? If so, is it measurably softer/easier to live with?

Thanks!

Participant

I got mine in .  It unfortunately is just as bad.  I was disappointed.  I am going to take the seat pan and have a custom seat made.  Very hard on ass and tailbone.  Back was sore for a week !   Also older rider here

Kylander79Kylander79
    Participant

https://www.motea.com/de/komfort-motorrad-sitzbank-gel-974238-0-974238-0

This is a well known German shop, offering interesting upgrades for mirrors, levers, seats and else. U have to send original seat to them and get it back within about 2 weeks; U can chose from 6  different welting colors; even yellow available. I considered this in last winter, and will do this next winter; now that I am totally convinced I will stay with this bike for the next years (age 57).

Participant

Thats a shame, and also interesting. I don’t want to start ripping apart a stock seat, but that might be the only option. I wonder how much stock seats are, and whether it’s worth getting one and asking my local seat genius (and he is a genius, I’ve never seen work like it) to do a fresh job on it, for less than Husqvarna can…

Otherwise, I’ll just stick with the padded cycling shorts…

Kylander79Kylander79
    Participant

@gymsdottir:

You know, that is always what happens when U buy something new in first series.

In German we call this “Kinderkrankheiten”, something like “small kids deseases”,  meaning there are some unplanned and not forseen “problems and issues” on the first production run. This is true for nearly all new cars in first production year as well as tv sets and else in technological gadgets.

I am certain that Husqvarna/KTM will do a revision and fix some bugs in the next production year. When the first KTM 390 Duke appeared, there were much more “bugs” in first year.

And do not forget – in comparison to a Ducati Scrambler, a Triumph Scrambler or even to a BMW G 390, we ride a “budget” bike…

Participant

That is so true. We call them ‘teething problems’ in English, but I think I shall use Kinderkrankheiten in future. Indeed one of the reasons I bought a Svartpilen rather than a new Royal Enfield Interceptor is that I thought it was going to have fewer kinderkrankheiten than the RE. If the worst problem that the Husky has is a hard seat, I can live with that… 🙂

Participant

Hey guys. Same boat as OP here – rode the Svart 401 and loved it, thinking about buying one, but the seat is putting me off.

To be specific, I find it quite comfortable but the width at the very front makes it needlessly difficult to flat-foot what isn’t a very tall bike, something that I heard mentioned in a couple reviews. The worst part though, is that it makes it nearly impossible to grip the tank properly with my knees! On nearly every bike I buy, I immediately get some rubberized tank grips to increase the connection, and I immediately feel more nimble and confident in the twisties. But if I wanted to do that on the Svartpilen, they’d have to be an inch thick!

I feel narrowing the seat down even slightly would be great, but from my brief test ride, it felt like it was the pan itself and not the cushioning. Maybe some creative dremel work would get the effect I’m looking for… but to be honest I may let someone else test it out before I take the leap.

Cheers!

Participant

A month and 500 miles in, and my backside is getting used to it. I did 120 miles in rainstorm on Sunday and barely felt a twinge. I also rode an old Xt500 yam the other week and it was easier to handle on dirt tracks than the Svart. I know what you mean about paddling it about too. But it’s still a hoot to ride. Love it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.