Hedlight wiring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AyzenAyzen
    Participant

Hi,

So im trying to figure out how to connect different headlight to pilen but it’s kinda odd, with bike on i have 2x 12V, 2.40v, 2.60, one wire for hi beam and one for gnd, after turning on the engine i have same thing, and factory lamp got this drl when engine is off, did anyone try to convert normal H4 lamp to pillen ?

Cheers.

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

Apparently you have parking light drl low hi. But the way these diagrams are drawn are confusing. And trying to make the whole page clear makes the file size to large. Unfortunately they don’t show internal wiring of headlight unit. If the other guy dug into his broken headlight it might help.

AyzenAyzen
    Participant

Inside headlight there is pcb with controller, 6 wires in marked as GND Vbat CANL CANH HL_act HB

so GND is pretty straight foward, brown cable in loom, same color and function everywhere, dunno why we have two 12V, both always ‘on’ when you turn the key, also there is HI beam, that turn on only when you turn on HI beam swith [duh], so when you turn on HI beam you have 12V on LOW beam [always on] and 12V HI beam, and i have two issues with that, first is drl, factory headlight have drl [and drl only] working when you turn key but engine is off, when you start engine then headligh turn LOW beam as well, but there is no change in voltage on those 6 wires when thats happen [mystery]

another issue is HI beam – my new lamp, led, got four wires, GND, HI, LOW and DRL, when you connect gnd to gnd, and 12v to drl [and drl only] you got drl running, when you connect 12v to LOW beam [and low beam ONLY] you have low AND drl running, and when you do the same thin with HI beam wire [so connected are GND and ONLY HI beam wire] you have DRL, LOW and HI running 🙂

my head hurts, that is nothing like honda…

also i manage to find service manual with wiring diagram, but that does not help, at all

because i have to ‘translate’ everything from multiple pages to figure out what is what and where…

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Looking at that circuit board, you have 6 inputs:

GND = Ground

Vbat = 12V power

CANL & CANH = CAN network bus

HL_act = possibly flashing lamp button on handlebar

HB = high beam switch on handlebar

It might be that if you remove that CAN module (the headlight module) you may get other CAN Bus issues from other bike modules expecting to either receive signals from, or send signals to, the headlight CAN module.

If you HAVE to use your replacement lamp unit, it might be easier to wire up a separate switch on the handlebars to control it, and just splice into the GND & Vbat lines to power it.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

It’s not a mystery that there is no change in voltage of those 6 wires when different lamps are lit. The lamp functions are driven from the CAN module on that circuit board. It takes input from the other bike CAN modules such as the ignition, engine, instrument pack, etc… And then it switches the different lights on and off digitally via those FET’s (electronic switches) that you can see on the left hand side of the circuit board.

Welcome to modern vehicle electrical and electronic systems.

Only the GND & Vbat wires are big enough to carry high current, the other 4 wires are small because they just send control signals to the CAN module on that circuit board. These small switch wires aren’t heavy enough to carry current to actually power the lamps, so trying to use them to power your aftermarket headlight will result in melted wires and burned out switches.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.