Heated Grips?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Any Ideas?

Participant

get some oxford heaterz and wire them into one of the front accessory circuits.

Participant

Thanks for that…!

I’m not home but want to order some, so what Diameter are the clip on’s/ throttle/ bars…?

Also out of interest, what size are the standard 701 Grips?

Participant

Why would anyone want a huge controller box on a minimalistic bike like the Vitpilen? Go with these grips that have an integrated switch. They’ve worked great on my Duke 390 over the last 30K miles.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/koso-apollo-heated-grips

Participant

That is Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for…!

Thanks for the suggestion Brett

Participant

They come in REALLY hand when the weather turns to crap and you’re wearing summer gloves : )

Participant

Oxford made new Retro looking heated Grips. Might suit Vitpilen more for some http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/hotgrips_advanced_retro_uk_specific/

Participant

Has anyone tried the koso apollo grips? Do they fit?

geoguidegeoguide
    Participant

Is there any grips on the market that are gelly and soft? I change my grips to a soft gel grip because I’m frequently leaning on this aggressive states, but all the heated grips seem hard again.

DCMnPADCMnPA
    Participant

I agree….. those Koso Apollo heated grips from Revzilla look like a great minimalist solution.  Thanks Brett and Raoul!

Question – can someone zip off a photo of these installed on the Vit 701?  Any issues or concerns with the install or their function?

Though winter so far has been pretty mild, it sure would be nice to get some warmth to the fingers while out those few warmish days!

Participant

Not sure if anyone else has tried to install the Oxford heated grips, but as a PSA- the right grip does NOT fit without some serious modifications to the throttle. The diameter of the plastic throttle cylinder is too large for the Oxford grips, and it has some plastic protrusions on both ends to hold the OEM grips in place, which need to be cut/sanded off.

I WAS able to make them fit, but not without about an hour of miscellaneous sanding, cutting, and swearing.

Participant

My primary complaint with all of the integrated heated grips is that they all tend to be larger in diameter than standard grips- like Harley grips. I prefer the slimmer diameter of a thin 7/8″ bar grip, and find most pillow top style grips are too large in diameter for me. My favorite street grips are the Renthal racing grips in the medium compound.

So for all of my grip heating needs I have been using the Heat Demon heat elements that tape around the handlebar and fit beneath the standard grips. Over the years I have installed these on about 12 bikes.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-heated-grips

These have two primary drawbacks:

1) They require a little more effort to wire, and one has to find a suitable location to place a switch. Also, on older machines without a dedicated accessory circuit I find it wise to power them via a relay that is triggered from switched power so that they cannot be left on accidentally. Not too tricky, but you have to have a place to put the relay as well.

2) Even though the Motorcycle heaters have additional heating elements for the clutch side, aluminum bars will draw so much heat away that the clutch grip is often not as warm as the throttle grip. The kits now come with an insulating sleeve of shrink tube that you apply before mounting the element, which helps- but there is still uneven heat with alloy bars. With steel bars they work perfectly.

The best solution I have found to the above is to purchase the ATV style heaters which are the same side to side. Then the clutch side bar has to have a plastic sleeve of the same diameter as the throttle tube mounted to it, and one uses two throttle side hand grips. This is not ideal, as it means you end up needing to purchase two sets of grips and fab up some sort of plastic sleeve. But it does result in even heat.

I haven’t had the chance to put heated grips on my Vitpilen yet, but I will. Sadly, its 4000 miles away and thanks to the Pandemic it’s going to be months before I get to play with it.

Participant

I took my Oxfords out for a spin yesterday after letting it rest overnight to ensure the glue cured properly- it was an absolute blast, and those things get HOT. It was like holding a log that’s been just a liiiiiittle too close to the fire- it almost hurts, but mostly feels good.

I did notice like you said that if I took my fingers off the bar to use the clutch, the bar cooled down a bit, but at even freeway cruising speeds, I actually felt that both bars were pretty close to the same temperature. Overall, I’m really pleased with them, and with the look once they were installed (Ignore the zip ties I hadn’t yet clipped in that photo):

Heated grips

Participant

They don’t look too bad!

My solution for this winter was heated gloves instead, as I didn’t want wires running all over the bike

Participant

That makes sense. As far as wires go, you can actually barely tell just looking at the bike- I zip tied them into the clusters of cables that already come out of the electronics on the handlebars for controls and throttle, so they look almost stock. I thought about heated gloves, but I always prefer a solution I can’t accidentally lose!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.