Has anyone tried to remove the yellow decals yet?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    goo
    Participant

Hey guys, I’ve got the bike for a couple of months now. I love everything about the bike, just not a fun of all those yellow decals.
    Has anyone tried to remove the yellow decals yet? I’m wondering if any adhesive remover will work on it without damage the paint…

Coolbreeze
    Participant

Hello Goo,

I have the same question. I think it is easy to remove but I’d love to see what it looks like without it before doing it.

Also i think if you remove it you remove the varnish with it.

elbastos
    Participant

Hi,

You do not need an adhesive remover to remove the stickers. I just used wooden toothpick to start removing a tiny bit at the end, then you can pull all the rest without any problem – works also with the 401 stiker on the rear end.

The stickers have a thin layer of varnish on them so once removed, you will definitely see and feel where the decals were; if you leave it as it is you, it will look as if there is the same shape as the decal but in a different black (looking a bit more matte), which in my opinion looked really good. The cool thing is also that once it is removed, as you are left with a kind of “mask” on the side panel, you can use it as a guide to paint directly the shape of the decal in another colour (white or dark grey would probably look really good).

On my side I did remove the original decals and gave the side panels a quick sandpaper treatment in order to apply a full covering kit.

Hope this helps you,

Cheers

rod frost
    Participant

I removed them with a hair dryer and WD40. Not sure if that was smart or not , but it worked.

goo
    Participant

Gloss black bike with matt black stripe? That would be cool.

Do you have a pic of your bike that you can share?

elbastos
    Participant

Unfortunately no pics, but yes it looks pretty cool, and I also think it looks way better than the stock yellow stickers – you will also need to remove the plastic radiator covers that are useless and ugly imo. Once removed, it is very subtle and you really need to focus to notice it, although you can feel it with your hand if you touch it – feels like the side panel is slightly embossed (not sure if this is the right terminology, sorry but english is not my native tongue) where the sticker used to be.

For the stickers on the rear, it looks less cool as you will get just the contour of the whole sticker (the one that reads 401 svartpilen if I remember correctly) and it made me think of a wing…but you can also choose to keep them as it looks ok. If you want to have an idea of what the bike would look like without the big yellow stickers but keeping the rear stickers, do a google search on motorino+svartpilen, you should find pictures of side panels that have been repainted without the side stickers, keeping the rear ones, should give you an idea.

Last thing you might want to consider, if you want to go full stealth (or mono colour), is to have the plastic covers re-painted – my local car dealer in France offered me a full repaint for the 4 elements for 300 euros so maybe worth considering as well.

Hope this helps

Anonymous

There is a youtube video by Motorcyclist that describes how to take off factory stickers.

PDSOUNDS
    Participant

Here you can find some pictures from the ALL BLACK version:

https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/svartpilen-france-limoges-all-black/

Grtz.

PD

Coolbreeze
    Participant

Yep:-)

csarcov
    Participant

Hello friends,

since your talking about the yellow chernobyl green lines, another question regarding… are these lines reflective?

Anonymous

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this extremely helpful as I was worried that removing the stripe would crack the clearcoat.  I think removing the stripe greatly improves the look of the bike, and best of all it’s free. I included a few pictures in case anyone looking to do this is curious. But it took about 10mins, and i used a lighter to warm up the sticker (As I live in a colder climate this time of year), and then just a sharp knife to get the edge started. I plan on removing the accent decals by the radiator guard and maybe the ones by the tank pop out as well soon too. Thanks to however was the first guy here to make his Svart the guinea pig.

decal removal 1 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.