Handle bar options

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

Hi all,

going on several week long trips so considering rising the handlebars for

comfort.

Are there any options other than the ABM conversion? I was hoping to get away with something simple, like an adapter that goes on top of e clip-on but I am not as mechanically versed so open to any suggestions.

thanks!

thanks for any pointers

Bferrissc
    Participant

Or possibly adapt one these “universal risers”  …..

Dan
    Participant

Thanks – yes, I’ve seen several of those but unsure how the fit the vitpilen. Is it as easy as plug and play by taking the handles off and on these? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Bferrissc
    Participant

Never a stupid question!    I don’t know, I’m just exploring the options for myself at this point.   I might order a set to try.   I’m sure it will take some fiddling to get them secure and positioned correctly.

Dan
    Participant

Cheers mate – thought I was not getting it.

I think the ones you’ve linked in the pic are held on by clamps and the vitpilen standard Clip ons are held by a bolt that goes through the side of the bar.

good luck, let us know what you find for yourself.

Bferrissc
    Participant

Hey – I’m trying to post other possibilites, but I keep getting “awaiting moderation”   How do I get around that??

barry

Nampus
    Participant
    Bferrissc
    Participant

Nampus … thanks.  I had not see these before.  Very nice solution.    Do you have them?

thanks barry

Nampus
    Participant

These are the same principle but I think they look better than the gilles:

https://husqvarna.motobike.co.at/de/newsbeitrag-vitpilen-701-lenkererhoehung-168708

I have no experience with either of these products.

I find the bars on the Vitpilen all day comfortable the way they are. Did several 500km days on it without problems.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Nampus.
    Dan
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve ordered the ABM option as it was the safe bet considering delivery times and my trips.

I love the current position but I’m not sure I could do more than 2 days in a row – We’re doing Scotland North Coast 500 starting In the south of England in 3 weeks and then Wales later On this year. Just making sure comfort is checked as I’m not that experienced a rider and on long trips my wrist gets sore after 6 hours. The bike sure isn’t meant for touring but it’ll be good fun. Also ordered the screen and an additional gel seat – will post pics once everything has arrived and I’ve installed

Bferrissc
    Participant

Another path, might be to look at Helibars for BMW R1200S….this might be made to fit.  Or one could fabricate something like this:

Bferrissc
    Participant

Yes, but they are hollow, so you could bolt through the triple clamp, then use the clamps to hold the original bars (trimmed)

Something like this which is for BMWs….actually might work on the Vitpilen.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/handlebar-riser-r-1200-1250-rt-lc-31040-201-1.html

Bferrissc
    Participant

I have been looking at options that could raise the bars but keep the Flat sweet looking triple tree top.  Helibar makes bars that mount like the Vitpilen’s…. might be some that could be adapted.  Or I would think a local machinist could fabricate these… you could just machine the risers to allow the original bars to mount and trim the bars to length.

Below are a couple of the styles I’ve seen to give you an idea.   I’m going to explore this.

https://images.solomotoparts.com/files/d_42893.jpg

Nampus
    Participant
    MelJ
    Participant

I have the Motobike Bregenz ones. More expensive than the Gilles tooling version but cheaper than ABM. I bought them because I wanted to retain as much of the original look as possible and these look like OEM units. You get enough lift to make a significant difference to comfort. You also don’t need to restrict the lock or take 5 hours for installation as you do with the ABM kit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.