Ground Clearance enough for rough dirt roads? Should I buy this bike?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SidVic
    Participant

Calling all Svart Gurus!!!

This bike looks like an amazing candidate for what I’m looking to do.  I currently ride a plated 2020 wr250F on some crazy rough dirt roads by my house in central Texas but I want a true street bike for comfort and longer maintenance intervals and issues with knobby tires.

Do you all see this bike being up to the task of rough dirt roads, hopping curbs, blasting through farmer johns freshly plowed field?

My main concern is the ground clearance.  Will I damage the exhaust? Can the exhaust be moved and what problems does that cause?

What about finding a good bash plate with the exhaust as is or moved around to the side?

I have seen this issue brought up on the interwebs a couple of times with no good conversations or solutions, let’s fix that here and now!  Thank you all for all the great info I have gathered so far on this forum.

LinTux
    Participant

> My main concern is the ground clearance.

Yes, this is a problem for 2020 model, ground clearance decreased from 170mm to 145mm (and this is without rider, with load this will be around 115mm).

> Can the exhaust be moved and what problems does that cause?

Yes, there are successful attempts to change the exhaust to the 2019 version.

> What about finding a good bash plate with the exhaust as is or moved around to the side?

This one (after exhaust exchange): https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/as3-skid-plate-engine-guard/

> This bike looks like an amazing candidate for what I’m looking to do.

Not really… Ground clearance is not the main issue, from my point of view suspension is the biggest problem, the second one is ground clearance and the third one is jerky engine at low and medium revs.

Suspension can be tuned or partially replaced with fork internals from 390 adv and swingarm+shock from 390 adv, but cheaper option is to buy 390 adv 🙂

For jerky engine problem you can use piggyback ecu or rapid bike easy.

SidVic
    Participant

I didn’t realize the pipe was routed differently on the 2019.  That’s great info, Thanks!  I have no problem adjusting my expectations for this bike as I still have my WR for dirt stuff.

That bash plate does look the part.  So, is it safe to say that if it attaches to the frame or engine, parts from the 390 duke or adventure will work with the Svart?  Even if I stick to the smoother gravel roads by my house there is still going to be rocks kicked up by the front tire and an increased chance of me dropping the thing, so I need to protect it.

LinTux
    Participant

> I didn’t realize the pipe was routed differently on the 2019.  That’s great info, Thanks!

You can check this story: https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/18-19-exhaust-on-a-2021-svartpilen-401/

or found some completed one on another forum. I’m already ordered front pipe, LV premuffler replacement (for 2018 duke 390) and all needed gaskets, but still waiting for silencer/muffler (also from 2018/19 model, because it deferent from 2020).

> So, is it safe to say that if it attaches to the frame or engine, parts from the 390 duke or adventure will work with the Svart?

Not for all staff, because it can ‘conflict’ with another parts, for example original crash bars from duke 390 requires engine bracket replacement (for duke 390 model).

Shiu
    Participant

Hiya!

What’s the clearance/height to the foot pegs on the Svartpilen (2021/2022 models) if anyone knows or could quickly measure it out for me?

I’m thinking about buying a Svartpilen and need to be able to transport it on a trailer and i saw this product that can keep the bike in place, but the height to the foot pegs need to be around 320mm (12,5 inches):

Sorry for hijacking the thread, hope it’s ok!

//Shiu

Mithrandir
    Participant

Hey Shiu, there you go.

Somewhere around 13 inches standing straight.

Shiu
    Participant

Oh that’s awesome. Thank you very much Mithrandir!

/Shiu

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.