Granite Svartpilen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JordanJordan
    Participant

Well this seems like a good place to start a build thread. So far I’ve had my Svartpilen for about 5 weeks and it’s been lots of fun to work on. Last week I painted my Svart with satin Granite and matte clearcoat (7 coats of granite paint, and 3 clearcoats. I was debating wrapping it, but spraying it was much cheaper, and I think it turned out much better than I could have done with a wrap (never having wrapped anything before). I used the stock plastics, just removed the yellow stripe stickers first. I like the satin grey (granite) a lot more than the stock gloss black. I’ve got some black husky decals and a windscreen on the way too which should make it look a little more complete.

Future mods I want to do include cat-delete, light guard, rear rack, and R6 rear suspension swap. I’m sure I’ll end up doing more eventually.

407guy407guy
    Participant

Looks good!

JordanJordan
    Participant

@407 guy Thank you

Got my decals on the other day. The Husqvarna on the tank pop out is a little larger than I was hoping, but I like them.

JordanJordan
    Participant

Finally got my windscreen. Here’s another boring garage picture because there been snow on the ground for the last week. I’m hoping weather will clear up this week and I can test it out. Any wind deflection will be nice, but I mainly got it for the looks, which I think it greatly improves. This is a ducati scrambler windscreen I got off amazon for about $40 and mounting was really easy.

doublure_bitedoublure_bite
    Participant

Nice one, love the grey scheme too.

Did you sand down before painting ?

Cheers

Participant

Looks great!

JordanJordan
    Participant

Thanks guys,

@doublure_bite Yes i used some fine grit sandpaper and went over it all just to make sure the paint got a good bond. I tried to hit the edges left from removing the yellow stripe a little more. I think the trick is just lots of coats of paint, and layering the clearcoat. I also wiped down the first few coats of paint with a wet cloth after drying to remove any dust (or dog hair) that settled while they were drying in my garage.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I really like that screen! And the yellow light (alas not legal here in the UK) looks cool too.

JordanJordan
    Participant

@Vanessa Thank you. I was a little worried ordering it but I think the windscreens do really help the looks of our bikes (and are at least somewhat functional).

Participant

Looking sharp! I love the Svartpilen 401, but have a hard time with the neon green accents. Yours is a nice solution.

I might recommend the passenger foot peg delete bracket (I see you’ve already pulled the pegs). I did it on mine, and it’s a slick piece of kit, and does a lot for the look of the bike:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/28505988000.html

I think you are right that the logo on the pop out is a bit on the large side….have you considered these:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/28007925044.html

Keep us posted!

ECJ

JordanJordan
    Participant

@ECJJCE Thanks for the recommendations. The passenger peg delete bracket looks like a good option to add in the future.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.