Givi Tanklock Bags for a 701 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DCMnPADCMnPA
    Participant

Hey everyone……

Thinking about the new 2019 701 I’m picking up tomorrow.  Has anyone mounted a Givi tanklock bag onto their 701?  I’m curious what you think – proportions, fitment, finish protection, etc.  Considering something like a MT505 or ST605 – both 5-l.  How about the tank ring?  Not interested in big n bulky.       Mike

NampusNampus
    Participant

I’m afraid the givi bags won’t work with the standard gascap op the 701.

Because the cap is not flat, but sticks out, the bag won’t fit. I had the same problem with mine, but on the sw motech system it is easily solved. Or not a problem at all if you use the Gen 1/ion system

Details here:

SW Motech tankbag

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by NampusNampus.
    DCMnPADCMnPA
    Participant

Ahh yes, I remember reading your post abt modifying the EVO ring.  Now I understand why….  raised profile of the stock cap.  Thanks Nampus for the enlightenment! M

Participant

I have successfully installed GIVI Tank lock system

bag:XS308(20l),ring:BF31(for BMW G310R/GS (17)).

The tank ring used is BF31 for BMW G310R/GS (17).

Because tank ring for my bike was not in the list of applicable models of GIVI and I did not even know the dimensions of the ring, I selected it by matching it with the image.GIVI Tanklock Ring

NampusNampus
    Participant

Awesome! Very useful info, the more options we have, the better!

Participant

I have also put on a Givi XS307 tanklock bag, in my case using a Kappa BF02K ring, which is sold by Moto4Gear in UK as suitable though it’s made for Triumphs Speed Triple, Sprint, Street Triple etc.  But it works fine. I did ask Givi before I bought it and they said it would not fit because the tank cap sticks up! This seems to be their own urban myth.  It means you can get 15 litre capacity tank bag for about half the price of Husky’s own unspecified but I suspect smaller bag.

Participant

First, I want to say that I really appreciate to @masaki and @nickcrook

I bought GIVI ST605 and BF02, and it fits perfectly.

ST605 has capacity for 5 Liter and TANKLOCKED system which tank bag and bike can be locked with a key.

Maybe 5 Liter capacity can feel like little bit small, but considering handling space, I think using tank bag bigger than this can disturb natural steering. (especially if you use smartphone mount~~)

Participant

J1 Shin,Nice! thanks for sharing.I also think that smaller bag is more functional for riding.Reluctantly, my XS308 is carried over from my previous bike 390 DUKE.Please let me know clearance between bag and your arm on riding position if you like.

Participant

Thanks J1 Shin and Masaki. I find there’s plenty of room for the Givi 15 litre tanklock bag and it does not affect steering. In fact I hardly notice it, though I have not yet used it fully loaded and I don’t use a Smartphone mount. Certainly there’s no problem with arm clearance.

Participant

NickC,thank you for your information.I’d  like to consider the next bag is 15 liters or less.(for example XS319)

Participant

@masaki
    My arm touches the tank bag only when I lean in, and it doesn’t bother me that much.
    Besides, sometimes it feels like holding my arm which makes me very comfy~~ 🙂

And also, you can see the gap between the tank bag and the steering parts including top bridge and smartphone mount as shown that photo.
    There is a only few millimeters gap when I mount my Galaxy S7.

You mentioned that you are using XS308 on Vitpilen 701 and I’m wondering, doesn’t that curved side of the bottom(flexible part seen in the photo below) meet the fuel tank?

I didn’t choose ST603 because it also has the curved bottom and I don’t want that part touches the fuel tank and make scratches on it. I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences.

PS : Just curious, isn’t Masaki the family name in Japan? You don’t have to answer it~~ ( ° ∀ ° )ノ゙

Participant

@nickcrook

Thank you for new information~~

I found out the distance from the center of the Tanklock flange to the end of tank bag is not that different between ST605 and XS308.

And also, the location of Tanklock release flange called ZT480R is adjustable for XS307 and XS308.(not for ST605, because of Tanklocked system)

It means space between steering and tankbag was not the problem at all.

I will consider large capacity tank bag for the next time.~~ 🙂

Participant

J1 Shin,thank you for information. Exactly,I also like the style of riding with holding tank like a endurance racer(etc.YOSHIMURA GS1000R).
    About XS308,as you say,the bag had been in contact with bottom of tank:_(

P.S. MASAKI is a first name in Japan.

Participant

@masaki

Thank you for another precious information.

It will help me to choose another tank bag in future. Thanks a lot~~ ^-^

AMv8(1day)AMv8(1day)
    Participant

Anyone find any success mounting Givi’s tanklock system to the ‘Pilen 401 twins? I’m hoping that the 401 and 701 siblings share the same tank flange dimensions, but don’t just have a 701 sitting around to check.

Would really love to mount the XS307.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.