Gas gauge malfunction

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone else have a malfunctioning gas gauge? Mine reads 3/4 full when tank is full. Probably either the fuel level sensor or the combination instrument (speedometer-dashboard) messing up. They tell me they’ll probably have parts in about a month.

Participant

I haven’t had that particular problem, but I have noticed the estimated range is completely worthless and seems to change at random.

Participant

Maybe the estimated range is only accurate when the bike is still & straight, & the fuel isn’t sloshing around. I will test that out next chance I get. I also noticed the range fluctuating quite a bit.

Participant

My gas gauge only goes to 3/4 as well, definitely a full tank. Was thinking as the shop just topped it off it might take awhile to go up, but never did. And the range only shows up when I cruising steady state. When having some fun in the canyon, it never registered.

Please post up if anyone hears about the 3/4 tank thing being an issue that needs to be fixed.

Participant

Re: gas gauge. You should contact your dealer about the gas gauge. Mine is still trying to get a new fuel level sensor. I just hope I don’t have to wait until late August like for all the other parts I want to order.

Hi,

I’m also having fuel level sensor issues. I get a, “Fuel Level Sensor Failure,” message on the display. The readout of km until empty is all over the map as well. I’ll be riding on the highway at a constant speed and it will change often and drastically: 300…. 90….. 150…. 240…. and so on.

I spoke to the dealership here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Could be a month before they get parts. Apparently they have to order a sensor and whole new dash to address the issue. A bit of a piss off considering it’s brand new. The bike still runs well though.

****EDIT****

I just realized that I posted this in the Vitpilen 401 forum. Mine is a 701, but they must have issues across the line.

Display

Participant

Same deal on my 401. If it’s on the sidestand the most you can seem to fill it if 3/4-7/8 full. If you’re on the bike filling it upright you can brim it and get 1/1. There is a lot of extra space left in that tank I guess. The displayed estimated range is all over the place on my 701 as well.

Participant

Went out for a ride last night and range came up within a couple of miles. The prior ride it wasn’t until 20 or so miles in. Guess it’s on the list for first shop visit but not worth a separate trip. Otherwise LOVING this thing. My only rides have been through Mulholland Canyons and by the Rock Store. Just perfect place to ride this bike with weather in the 70’s.

Participant

I just filled my tank slightly over the plate while sitting on the bike straight up. The gas gauge still only went up to 7/8 or so.

Participant

Same issue for me on 401 Svart–never saw my gauge say it was full yet, caps at 7/8 full. And the estimated mile range is constantly fluctuating. Asked my dealer, said he doesnt no anything about it but will look into it. I’m only 100mi away from my first service, so he said he will check on it when i bring it for the 600mi service period.

Participant

Don’t get first service until 621 miles. As soon as it hits 621 the shift warning light will blink repeatedly. After service the shift light will no longer come on at 6500 rpm. See pages 65, 66 of owner’s manual.

As far as cost of service, I think someone on the forum was quoted $450-$500. I was quoted $616, but after service was done it turned out to be $424. The tech had never worked on a pilen before mine and didn’t want to penalize me for his inexperience with the bike.

Participant

What did they do for the service? Seems like a lot compared to first service on cars so wondering what’s included.

Participant

Well, they’re supposed to check everything listed under 620 mile service on pages 107 through 110 of the owner’s manual. If you tell them not to bother checking the valve clearances, that would save quite a bit of labor charges. My valves were fine, but I wanted them to go by the book. I knew checking the valves on the KTM 390 was a bitch because I read about that in Motorcyclist magazine. So I was prepared for the worst. The tech told me it wasn’t all that bad, though.

Participant

Brought mine in for the 600mi service a week or so ago, they did the valve clearance check which is where all the labor comes from, mine was $392.

They said to set the RPM1 warning to 9K and the RPM2 warning to 10K, took it out for a long ride this weekend and that definitely seemed to be about right for redline.

Gas gauge on these is definitely sketchy, I filled mine up, holding it level and it was reading full, but it didnt take but a few minutes on the road for it to be down to 7/8 or so. They definitely seem to err on the side of “less”.

Participant

I would love to know how many owners got a Svartpilen with a functional gas gauge. I’m so disgusted with Husqvarna for releasing the bike with this problem that it makes me want to get rid of it and buy a Moto Guzzi. Too bad, because the Svartpilen, other than that problem, is one of the best motorcycles out there. But who’s gonna want to buy it with this problem. Aargh!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.