First service experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

So my bike has had it’s first service, and it’s been a mixed bag.

My dealer did not check the valve clearances, and gave me an official Husqvarna service schedule list printout that they follow, and there is no mention on it to check the clearances at the first service.

I asked them to look at the following faults :

– Erratic ‘range to empty’ readings. Seriously during one ride it displayed ranges of 320 miles, 90 miles, then zero miles, basically completely useless.

– Fuel gauge never reads full, even when tank is brimmed with fuel.

– Occasional ‘Can ABS failure’ with warning light will flicker on the display for a few seconds, about every 5th ride.

The dealer got Husqvarna UK to connect remotely to the bike, and read faults and update the software. While this had an effect on the range to empty readouts, making them less erratic and more plausible and hence useful, it did not cure the fuel gauge issue OR occasional Can ABS failure message.

I am going to call the dealer next week and ask them to see what else Husqvarna can do to fix these issues, but has anyone else experienced similar problems with their 401?

Participant

– Erratic ‘range to empty’ readings. Seriously during one ride it displayed ranges of 320 miles, 90 miles, then zero miles, basically completely useless.

– Occasional ‘Can ABS failure’ with warning light will flicker on the display for a few seconds, about every 5th ride.

– Fuel gauge can go from 300 km to 200 km on highway and then go back to 300 when i slow down in town.

– i also have Can ABS failure rarely but still there after 10000 KM.

But i can reach FULL gauge.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by AvatarLéo78.
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yeah, I understand that the range changes depending on riding style, the dealer said that too. But I’ve had range to empty readouts on the cars I’ve owned fior the past 10 years, and they are much more stable and predictable. Maybe the range prediction technology on cars is more mature and hence more refined? The Husqvarna software update did help to settle it down a little. It wouldn’t be such a pain if I could turn the feature off, on my bike, but it’s always displayed unless there is a warning or error message present.

I guess you’ve got used to the CAN failure message after 10000kms? Maybe I should turn a blind eye to it too….

But the fuel gauge is irritating. If the dealer/Husqvarna can’t/won’t fix that, I might try to sort it myself by removing the sender from the tank and bending the float arm. I read somewhere on this forum that someone did this.

Participant

I just got my bike back from the first service two days ago.

I’ve not seen the CAN ABS message at all.  Seems to be a semi-common issue from what I can tell; I believe it’s been blamed on dirty sensors somewhere?

I can get the gauge up to 8 bars. I fill up while standing the bike up, no kickstand, and I basically just cover the metal bit inside the filler hole.

The Range To Zero indicator has been plausible for me – fairly steady with steady throttle, and dependent on overall speed/acceleration behavior. Full tank, cruising at 35MPH – 180 miles RTZ. Just pinned it, 80MPH in the fast lane – drops down to 120 (after a minute or two).

karaikarai
    Participant

Hi Vanessa,

If i would be you i would push with Husqvarna claim since your ABS CAN failure are still there after flash, write a nice email raising your concern about potential accident if your ABS would fail to work at bad timing. It should be taking care off under warranty, new ECU, not just flash.

For fuel gauge, that new ECU might solve it as well, otherwise could be the sensor itself but that would be a lot a work to deal with.

My fuel gauge does not behave the best neither, definitely not proportional but i do get a full reading. The level seems to hold on decently then just drop quickly… i just refill often rather than putting thrust in the gauge.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

@reason  Dirty sensors? Hmm I’m am ABS engineer and I’ve been over the system myself and can find nothing wrong. But I’ll look at the wheelspeed sensors again and check them. I personally think that the problem is software, and I can’t fix that as I don’t have access to Husqvarna’s ABS diagnostic software.

I always fill the fuel up to just above the metal bar in the filler hole. Usually it just reads 6 bars, but once I accidentally overfilled it and the gauge briefly showed 7 bars but this had dropped to 6 after less than 5 miles of riding. I’m guessing that it’s the level sender that’s faulty, either it’s calibrated wrongly or is bent. As you say, it’s a lot of work to try to fix.

My range to zero used to be stupidly erratic, from 320 miles down to 90 miles range over just 5 mins of riding. The software update has made it respond much more like you describe yours as doing. I’m pretty happy with that now.

@karai  Yes I’m going to keep asking my dealer for further help, the error message should not appear at all unless there is a genuine fault.

My fuel gauge does not drop in a linear proportional way either. It drops quickly from 6 down to 4 bars, and then stays at 4 bars for ages. Then it quickly drops to 3 then 2, then stays at 2 for ages, then goes straight to empty without going first to 1 bar. It’s disappointing that in this day and age Husqvarna can’t seem to make a properly functioning fuel gauge. It’s not that hard really.

Thanks for your kind comments both 🙂

karaikarai
    Participant

Oh i forget, do you fill up with bike upright or on the bike stand? Sensor is on the opposite side of the stand, i have to have the bike upright to show full tank.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I always fill up with the bike on the stand. I was taught / told that was the safest and correct way to do it. Next time I fill up I’ll try to hold the bike upright to brim the tank. I fill my MT-07 on the stand and that always reads full no problems, the gauge also acts more linear as it drops. I wish Yamaha made Svartpilen 401’s!

karaikarai
    Participant

I guess this one of the bike flaws, and we got to like it with it’s imperfections 🙂

I know it’s probably not the safest but i always fill the bike level, the tank been quite small and awkward shape i try to squeeze every drop of gas to give me max range!

but have to recon Japanese are probably better on theses stuff than Husqvarna/ktm ^^

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yes you’re right, these ‘pilens’ we love them despite their flaws! They are characterful for sure 😉

karaikarai
    Participant

@Vanessa did you solve your issue for ABS can failure errors? I start to get them more frequently and flickering as well…..

cheers

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

@karai No I did not manage to get the CAN ABS flickering issue solved. My dealer tried and also Husqvarna checked the bike’s electronics remotely but could find no problems. I think it occurs due to a checksum error between the front and rear wheelspeed sensors (that’s just my educated guess), and so might be something that is not easily fixed, as ABS software is not usually easily accessible and updatable, as it’s locked-down firmware due to being a ‘safety critical’ system.

I got this error just yesterday while riding the bike, and to be honest I’ve learned to just ignore it as it goes away almost immediately and doesn’t seem to cause any lasting issue with the braking performance of the bike. Sorry I can’t give you a better answer.

karaikarai
    Participant

@Vanessa, thx for the feedback, I’ll try to push at next service since the ECU update did not change a thing. I know the technicians where quite evasive on the subject…if nothing is taking care of, I’ll push to Husky France side. Now it does it at completely random situations, standing still, static condition (cruising on 5/6 gear), or at gear change… sometime last for 2 sec, sometimes for 15 sec… i don’t think the ABS will work during these period, even if very short, could be bad timing on day…

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Hi, oh that sounds much worse than my bike. I only get the flickering CAN ABS failure message occasionally, maybe every 5th ride, and then just for a few seconds, and always when I’m riding with the bike moving. Although it’s usually during or just after a gear change when I’m slowing down.

But if your bike displays the fault when not moving, and for extended periods of time, you should have better luck demonstrating it to a dealer/technician. Let us know if you are able to get it sorted.

Participant

I have some of the same issues as you, when I spoke to the engineer who serviced the bike he told me the following!

There is no fix for this, I asked about a software upgrade and he said there wasn’t one!
    I can fill the bike, it can show 180 miles range for 100 miles of riding and then I restart it and it shows 160 miles range. I then need to get fuel 50 miles later. I just ignore it now.

I didn’t ask him about this but I have the same issue, I don’t worry about it, I know the bike now and the low fuel gauge is the only accurate part of that system.

He told me that the mods I have done, indicators, heated grips, USB charger and running lights are messing with the ECU. The bike was reporting fault after fault that he had to clear. He did reassure me that the ABS was working fine!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.