First Service – Dealer Used Conventional Oil – Should I Care?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael BMichael B
    Participant

Took my Vitpilen 401 to the local authorized dealer for its first service.  The dealer used conventional 10W40 oil for the oil change.  The service manual calls for 15W50 semi-synth oil.  Would you keep the oil in place until the next oil change interval or change the oil yourself with the proper oil?  I’m considering swapping out the oil after the bike’s upcoming winter nap.

Participant

Did they give you a reason for the different oil? Sounds like you live somewhere pretty cold in any case. Lower oil numbers means the oil flows easier, so maybe that’s why.

Michael BMichael B
    Participant

I definitely live in a colder place, so that part makes sense.  My primary concern is if people would go ahead and keep the conventional oil in their engine until the next oil service or replace it right away with the factory-spec semi-synthetic.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I asked my Authorised Husqvarna service center (CPC, Hinckley) what oil they recommend I use on my SP401, and what oil they use when they service the bikes and they said they use the Motorex oil specified by Husqvarna in the service manual. So that’s what is in my bike. I’d check your copy of the manual you got with your bike and see what oil it recommends. If your dealer hasn’t used it, then I’d be asking them directly why not.</p>

Michael BMichael B
    Participant

So the manual calls for Motorex Formula 4T and the dealer used Motorex Sport Max 4T.  Formula is semi-synthetic and Sport Max is conventional oil.  I don’t know of any advantage to using a conventional oil over a synthetic blend.  Would you leave it in until the next oil service or switch it out to Formula?

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

There is an advantage, to the dealer, non-synthetic oils are generally cheaper than synthetic ones. Speaking personally, I’d switch it out, but as the two oils are different, you will need to completely drain all the current oil, and change the filter for a new one too. I’d clean out the two little mesh filters too, or buy the complete filters kit that includes new main filter and mesh ones. Then you’d have a spare set of meshes, that you could clean and reuse on subsequent oil changes in rotation.

Michael BMichael B
    Participant

Yeah, that’s kind of where I was headed but was hoping to be talked out of it.  Ok then, time to do an oil and filter change!

Michael BMichael B
    Participant

So as a conclusion this story, I had gone back to the dealer to buy a 4 liter container of Formula 4T.  The dealer claimed he hadn’t heard of it and had to look it up to special order it.  Long story short I bought it for much less online and switched out their oil with the oil called for in the service manual.  I guess my biggest gripe one that I’ve heard elsewhere online — that dealers only understand their dirt bikes and don’t seem to care that much about street bikes.  Probably due to them selling very few of them relative to off road.  Oh, and being told that Formula 4T didn’t exist (until it did) didn’t help matters out either.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Are you able to go to a different dealer?

I use CPS in Hinckley, and whilst they are primarily off-road biased, they are really knowledgeable on all things Husqvarna, and are fully versed in the on-road bikes too, including recommending (and stocking) Motorex Formula 4T.

Michael BMichael B
    Participant

Don’t you hate going to a dealer for “official” service only to second guess their competency?  Given that they called me after 1 hour to let me know my bike was ready should have been a tell-tale sign that all they really did for my break-in service was an oil change.  Don’t get me wrong — I’d prefer to spend one hour on labor charges than be falsely billed for more.  Still, to not have known that the proper oil to use even existed is in and of itself quite frightening.  For my next service I’m resigned to the fact that I’ll be visiting another Husqvarna dealer, the next closest being a 1.5 hour drive away.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yep, the right dealer experience can make or break a brand experience. A good one can make owning the bike a joy, even if there are problems with the bike, if they are dealt with well it can still be good. Whereas a bad dealer can spoil an otherwise great bike buying and owning experience. I’ve had both.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.