First service – $531 ??

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    SlimJim
    Participant

I am coming up on 600 miles soon.  Not looking forward to paying $500… @.@

motocrossmr
    Participant

Need to pull my manual. What does the first service consist of? Can you do any of it yourself?

pavan.inferno
    Participant

I am not sure what model year y’all are referring to. My 2021 SP401’s factory service manual (bought from Husq) does not include ‘check valve clearance’ during first service. The interval for that item is every 9300 mi (15000 km) in the required work schedule.

I haven’t gone in for my first service yet. Everything in the first service seems pretty easy to do at home except the stuff with ECU.  I have heard on this forum that a few things need to be done at the dealership with the right scan tool: reset the service light, enable quick shift, change shift light RPMs.

Can anyone chime in on whether you need to go to a dealership for your first service ? Since some of this stuff seems to be model year specific, can you also mention your bike in the reply ?

Mithrandir
    Participant

2021 401 owner here, went through the 1st service a week ago and I can confirm that first service does NOT include valve clearance as stated on the manual (frequency is 15,000 Km) and yes, all services shall be performed on dealerships to maintain warranty (stated on the bike delivery certificate).

One thing I am impressed is the price I was charged here in Mexico, first service was $93 USD!!!!!

I was so afraid about paying the 500usd mentioned before, but here are my thougts on why so cheap:

The dealership is KTM, not Husqvarna. Seems like the mechanics (though very capable) are not trained nor deeply related to the Husky; when dropping the 401 I mentioned experiences I had with the bike and other stuff I saw on other topics from the forum that should be reviewed. When I mentioned enabling quickshifter I was surprised the mechanic thougt the bike did NOT included it (quickshifter) but would check. After collecting the bike, the mecanic was amazed the bike DID included quickshifter and he enabled the option.

Could it be that enabling quickshifter is the reason why the service is expensive? If I would have not mentioned it, they wouldnt enable it…

While researching for the maintenance specifics for the bike and going through the forum I have found that my bike is diferent to others as the front suspension is not adjustable… but may be worth to open a diferent topic to address diferences within bikes.

Anyway bike is running great and maintenance is recorded on the dealership website so I’m happy with the service, mechanic even asked me to drive by every now and then during the week to review fluid levels free of charge.

Seems like gas meter calibration was improved as low fuel level alarm pops at a lower range of gas (90km or 2 bars compared to previous 130km or 3 bars. Quickshifter works fine so far.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@Mithrandir

Your $93 was for an oil change, oil filter replacement, bolt inspection, and software update check.  Valve clearance is not required at the first service.  Your next required service will call for valve clearance inspection/adjustment.  It requires hors of labor and will cost in the neighborhood of $500.

pavan.inferno
    Participant

@Mithrandir

Thanks for the info you shared.

FWIW, I went ahead and did the first service on my own. I dont miss the quick shifter and dont see a reason to visit the dealership.  The oil was pretty used up with a lot of metal shavings and blue loctite crystals. I did make sure all the bolts were tightened to spec. This gave me an opportunity to open a lot of these bolts and understand how the bike is put together. Since this is my first time working on a motorcycle (as opposed to a car), I did strip a few bolts. Nothing which couldn’t be fixed. Motorcycle parts are cheap !

At this rate, I look forward to the next service when I get to check and adjust valve clearances !

I was also curious about loose bolts on the alternator coils and opened it up when the oil was drained. I found that the three bolts which hold up the coil were not tightened to spec. I redid those bolts with right torque and replaced the paper gasket which gave me a good piece of mind. Leaving this part out would have bothered me on a daily basis whenever I hear a noise from the left side. This also made me realize that these are bargain bikes with corners cut in assembly and quality control. Thats okay by me, since I consider myself a more careful user with higher risk tolerance.  If you are the kind to ride ’em hard and put ’em up wet, this may not be a bike for you. I  understand everyone has their own risk tolerance.

pavan.inferno
    Participant

oil screen another view

Above is a picture of the oil screen. Pretty nasty shavings and debris. This is consistent with the pictures from the advrider thread. I hope this is all just a part of the initial break in. The engine also revs easier after the first service. I may do an early oil change considering the debris I found.

Another thing I learned on this job- Precote is a tradename for preapplied theadlocker found on OE fasteners. It is red in color. Do not confuse this for red Loctite. I was thoroughly confused when I found red stuff on stator bolts. Not sure how I managed to break red Loctite just by using hand tools at some 30 in-lb torque. I also learned that blue Loctite recommended for reassembly is <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Loctite 243</span> which is the oil resistant variation of the more commonly available Loctite 242. I hope these additional observations help some poor soul scouring the internets for answers to his/her questions.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@pavan.inferno

I think you did it right.  Theses bikes have problems because they need attention from the factory.  Doing the work yourself helps to identify the often overlooked problems.

Vanessa
    Participant

Some good points here, thanks for posting them.

Where the Loctite is concerned, you can use the 242 type as long as you thoroughly clean all oil off both the screw/bolt and the internal thread. I use Loctite’s own spray cleaner to do this and promote good adhesion. Then allow time for the Loctite to set before using the bike.

The 243 can be applied to threads contaminated with oil and still work, but personally I have had mixed results with this.

Bolts with pre-applied threadlocker on them are also known as patch bolts.

Mithrandir
    Participant

Hey all

I have just performed the second service on my 2021 Svart401 and here are my comments.

After the first service I have not experienced any problem with the bike nor the usual alarms that are reported on the forum. I went ahead and performed the service at 7 thousand Km as I felt the gap of 6,500Km is quite big for the small engine and I felt it was a little “lazy” lately.

Took it in at the KTM dealership and I am happy I saw the condition of the oil when they drained the engine, because it was not good. I regret not taking pictures or video from the conditions but it was definitely degraded.

I was able to take the oil sreen and found some little shavings from the engine, I do not know if this are OK for 7 thousand Km on the clock… I did took some pictures of them and I would appreciate your more experienced input. They do not seem as big as the ones from pavan.inferno above, but they are still there.

After a couple of hours and 90 USD (love it) I got the bike back (no valve clearance check this time) and definitely difference was noticeable. Engine ran much more smoother and breaks improved as well, now I am CONVINCED the 6,500 gap is quite big for the maintenances intervals.

I requested the next service is scheduled on the next 5Km and that is the frequency I will maintain for services, again your input appreciated here.

Safe riding.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.