First service – $531 ??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Got my bike used with 106 miles on it. Coming up on the first service period. Called the only Husky dealer in town, that the seller bought it from. They quoted me $531 to change the oil, hook up the computer to update the shift light 7500rpm limit, check the valve clearance, and maybe one other thing, I forget for sure.

Does that sound right to other people?  3 quarts of Motorex 15/50 Top Speed 4T would be about $42, $8 for the filter, maybe a half hour of labor to change the oil, so that’s $100. Another half hour for the computer, that’s $50, so that leaves about $380 for the valve check.

Worth it, or should I take the bike to my non-dealer guy?

stroemstroem
    Participant

Seems about right. Valve clearance check is no small task. Some say it’s easier to do if you just remove the engine.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Valve check on a 401 at the first service?

Ps, I bought my 701 from a private person and it still needed its first service when I got it. Did it myself, including changing the shifting lights. The only thing you can’t do yourself is reset the the service indicator to 6000 miles (but to another 621 is possible btw).

btw, in all my bikes I always haggled the first service for free in the purchase.

stroemstroem
    Participant

Yes, valve clearance check is part of the 401 first service.

407guy407guy
    Participant

What does the service department charge per hour?  And how many hours are they saying it will take?  Along with the parts costs is their “cost”.

Participant

My dealer (husky dealer ofc) will do it for 2500 SEK (270 USD) for my vit 401 (1000km first service) , so 531 sounds extremely high…

anyhow, I don’t know if you have the same warranty in the states but here we have 2 year warranty that you loose if you don’t have the correct stamps in the service book, so that’s worth looking up and considering.

Participant

first service is 600 miles, and it’s just oil

second service is 6,000 miles, that’s the first valve clearance check

stroemstroem
    Participant

@NeoRetro , look at the owners manual, there are a lot of checks at the first service including valve clearance check.

Participant

@407guy:

What does the service department charge per hour?  And how many hours are they saying it will take?  Along with the parts costs is their “cost”.

I didn’t get the breakdown and they don’t post it online, but my other “general” motorcycle mechanic charges $90/hour, so I figure $100/hour at the dealer is a decent ballpark figure.

@Justus.SWE

anyhow, I don’t know if you have the same warranty in the states but here we have 2 year warranty that you loose if you don’t have the correct stamps in the service book, so that’s worth looking up and considering.

That brings up another question – the dealer said this wasn’t covered under warranty (which is good for another year, I do have and is transferable). This seems a bit shitty to me: it’s a basically mandatory service that’s going to come up within a couple of months of steady riding.

Anyone able to get it covered under warranty?  I don’t have much leverage since I bought it from the person who bought it from the dealership, but if I can point to other riders who did, maybe that might count for something.

I’ll probably just bite the bullet regardless but it irks me.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

First service is never warranty, or did I misread your question?

Participant

No, that was my question. Thanks.

407guy407guy
    Participant

$100/hour — that’s pretty cheap.  Here for me in Florida it’s $150-190/hour with a minimum 1 hour charge.

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

yup 531 sounds about right I’m here in souther Cali paid 479 out the door for my first service since I purchased it from the same dealer who did the service they gave me 20 percent off the whole service !

Participant

@stroem for the 701 there is no valve check for the 600 mile service. I don’t know about the 401 but I would be surprised if there was a valve check needed

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I have my SP401 manual in front of me and it definitely says that a valve clearance check is required at the first 1000km (621 mile) service. My bike is in for it’s first service and I will collect it tomorrow and check that they have done this. I’ll post my findings and the cost.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.