First maintenance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What are you guys paying for your first maintenance?

Honestly, my local dealer I got my bike from seems pretty clueless about street bikes. My only real concern on the first maintenance is the valve check / adjustment.

The rest I’ll happily do myself.

Participant

Sorry I didn’t ask. When I picked up the vit all I was thinking was riding.

Planning to do oil change by myself in a couple days…anybody know how much oil will go in?

Participant

According to the manual it says 1.8 qt/1.7 l. If you don’t have a copy of the manual, you can download it from the Husqvarna website. It also covers how to remove the oil filter and screens.

Participant

Thank you!

Ive the manual and read about filter and screens but haven’t seen that part.

My bad 🙂

ill check with my dealer in NJ about first maintenance $

Participant

I was quoted 450-500 bucks it’s crazy because that’s more then my 2018 Panigale was… I’m concerned because of the valve check as well but because they will have to take the bike apart! Sucks but I guess it has to be done…

Participant

My Vitpilen 401 was in last week for first maintenance (1000 km).

I paid 3600 swedish crowns and thats roughly 400 dollars.

Pretty much if you ask me.

And that´s without valve adjustment…

Participant

As in the oil change? If you do it yourself it’s well under $100. It’s no different from a 390 Duke oil change. 2 filters and engine oil.

Participant

No the first maintenance according to the manual is much more than the oil change. If you read the first post I acknowledged the oil change is simple.

Referring more to what the book rate allows for it, and how much your dealer is charging.

The valve adjustment is the important part

Participant

Ahhh sorry I didnt read your post thoroughly. Im coming from Honda/Yamaha so im quite surprised (after doing some research) at how often these “390 RC/Dukes” need valve adjustments at such a short interval.

It seems the labor($$$) to perform the check is quite different from the actual adjustment. Performing the valve clearance CHECK requires the removal of the valve cover, rotating the crank, and sticking in the feeler gauges to see what the clearance is.

Performing the adjustment requires the valve clearance check, removing the camshafts, and reinstalling the correct shims which requires a whole lot more labor.

Keeping those two facts in mind, it’s in the dealer’s best interest to charge you for a valve adjustment whether or not you need it. I suggest you check the valve clearance yourself (and bring it to the dealer to perform the valve adjustment) or HOPE the dealer/service writer/technician remains transparent enough to charge you for what your bike really needs. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but fixed ops (the shop) are what keeps a dealer open; not the sales department.

I know this wasn’t exactly the answer you’re looking for, but someone who is mechanically inclined may find this information useful.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatarkalvinsaid.
    Participant

Yeah good information, appreciate it.

I’m just going to end up doing all work myself, track it for warranty reasons, and then use the dealer only if I need to make a warranty claim.

Or find a KTM dealer, since my husqy dealer seems worthless… This bike is new to them too and they are clueless.

Participant

I have a svartpilen, but this forum seems a lot more active so I am posting here as I’m sure they’re really pretty much the same. I have a few questions. I think my bike has a couple issues, though it’s my first bike, so maybe they’re normal? But I guess my question is more general: how does the warranty work? Do I need to get my service done at all the correct intervals at the dealership for the warranty to be valid in the future? I know I need to pay for service, of course, but what is covered under warranty?

Ok, now maybe someone can help me diagnose my problems or let me know if they have something similar. The first issue is that when the gas tank is 70% to completely full, when the bike stops sudden or goes over hills (or if I shake it or something like that) then it makes a really strange sound which seems to come from the gas tank. It is not just gas sloshing around, but something else as well. Maybe it is related to the suspension? At any rate, as the gas depletes, the sound goes away more and more. I was able to take a video of this sound: https://youtu.be/WqfTcZAab9w

The second issue is that a metallic clicky/rattling sound from the engine usually when i’m in lower gear and/or when I have disengaged the clutch (though possibly this is just because it’s not as loud so i can hear it). Sorry I haven’t figured a way to take a video of this yet. I actually took the bike up to the dealership and they confirmed the sound but said it didn’t sound like anything that was damaging and so to wait until the first service and mention it then. (I didn’t know about the first issue yet as I’d never filled the bike up with gas yet at that point.)

I’m 350 miles in, so still a ways to go until the service. Does anyone have any advice? If people think I should delete this post and put it in a new post instead, I’m happy to do that.

Participant

No you don’t have to have the dealer do the maintenance for your warranty. Legally anyways. But keep all receipts and use the notebook they gave you to document your work as proof that it has been maintained properly.

The gas slosh… Hm, I’ll check my bike.

I’d love to hear the motor sound you’re referring to. Mine sounds fine. Maybe do a search on the KTM forums for it?

Participant

@ultramaroon, is that second issue rattling sound in parallel with the engine speed? vehicle speed?

Participant

**UPDATE**

Hi All, just wanted to give some info. I took some time off work and got my miles in to get the first service out of the way. Unfortunately, I ended up getting a friggin nail in my back tire 🙁 I had to get the Vit towed to a dealer that I got my Ducati from and they fixed it. (I had to strap the tow truck straps to the lattice frame and tie her down, I hope that didn’t hurt anything on her) I’m super anal… Do you guys think that was a good strap point? Anyway, I wanted to give an update on my first service. Once I got the tire fixed I was able to complete my 620 miles and took my Vit into the dealer that I got her from. The service was 450 bucks, took about 5 hrs and involved a valve check and adjustment. The tech found an exhaust valve out of spec so he shimmed that, etc. I’m not sure if its just in my head but the Vit seemed to feel ALOT better once the service was done, smoother or something. Anyway just some info for you guys, Enjoy!

Participant

@vitpilen401Rider

Sorry I sort of hijacked your thread. I’m going to  just create a separate thread for my stuff. Glad your Vit is smoother than ever. Can’t wait to get to my initial service… Sounds like you got it done somewhere other than where you bought it; as someone mentioned above in answer to my question, warranties are valid even if service isn’t done at the official dealership, so that’s good. Happy riding.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatarultramaroon.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatarultramaroon.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.