First Day with my Vitpilen 701!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All!

Today was the day I did my trade-in, and got the VitPilen 701!, had been eye balling this bike since August 2018, and with the recent price cuts, it was finally time!

I traded in my Ducati Scrambler sixty2 which was a 399cc bike, felt like I had outgrown the bike, and it was time to move on to something with good power and awesome looks.

I’m very happy with the bike, it’s got AMAZING power! and as today I had my first official ride on the freeway, I started the process of getting used to the bike, it’s power, handling, and realizing that the mirrors are useless paper weights after 5,000 rpms. Hahaha!

I did have a question, however, and this was from a direct comparison from my old bike to this one. While on the freeway, when cruising at around 65-75mph, I felt a very slight and faint wobble on the bike. Not sure if it was coming from the front or the back, but it was a bit concerning. While riding, I tried different things, and I realized that 80+mph the wobble disappeared, as well as when accelerating.

It felt as if the bike was more stable the faster you rode it.

Is this similar to the experiences of you all? Any tips, or suggestions?

By the end of my 40 mile ride back home, I did feel a lot more confident than how I felt riding it the first 20 miles, that’s for sure. So maybe it’s just about getting used to the bike.

Thanks in advanced for the input!!

A new VitPilen 701 Bro!

Participant

I am so excited for you!

You may want to try adjusting the front suspension as it might not be tuned to your specific weight.

Participant

Hi! Thanks for your reply, yea I am very excited likewise!

the dealer guy said the suspension was tuned for a 180lb rider, I’m more like 205, do you know of a guide for tuning our bikes suspension settings? Thanks again!

Participant

no I don’t and I wish i did, I’m not well versed in suspension and I weigh 225 lbs and enjoy riding 2 up so I really would like to stiffen it a bit.

WvblackgunWvblackgun
    Participant

I weigh 184 lbs, and find mine best at 7 clicks in the front on both sides and 6 clicks in the rear. This is a pretty sporty setup, but I tried middle setting and didn’t like it. Mind you, the rear spring was factory set and still is.

I Know you were talking about setting up rear spring, but the compression and rebound settings offer so much resolution of adjustment, it may get you close enough.

WvblackgunWvblackgun
    Participant

congratulations on the new bike btw

Participant

Thanks!

Well, it turns out that I got the settings guide from the manual, for both the Fork’s rebound and compression, as well as the rebound for the rear shock.

From factory they are supposed to come set at 14 for both the fork’s rebound and compression, and the rear shock is supposed to come with 15 clicks.

So when I counted the clicks on my bike, I was surprised to find that someone must have messed with it at the dealership, because the fork’s compression was set to 6! and the Rebound to 5 clicks!

The rear shock was ok, with exactly 15 clicks.

So maybe that light wobble I was feeling on the freeway was caused by the unbalance of having the fork with those settings.

I have set everything back to standard, and I will begin my baseline with those, and then go from there to see what works best for me.

I’ll let everyone one knows how it goes, and how the bike feels when I ride it again.

Cheers!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by AvatarVit701Pilen.
    WvblackgunWvblackgun
    Participant

Alot of button pushers and twisters in the dealerships! Try 7 on rebound and 7 on compression, and 6 in the rear and i think you’ll like it. Then again the only reason im not a squid is my suit. I ride really hard, and i like those settings best. Tbh, the only safe ones i have found. If your putting it over and scrubbing your strips all the way off youll like the settings i mentioned. I even like em putting around.

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll definitely get there and try them! I want to first develop more confidence on the bike, and then I’m sure I’ll be pushing it hard. I gotta get the slippery goo off the brand new tires first too, hahha

WvblackgunWvblackgun
    Participant

15 clicks is wildly comfort oriented. Id dogg it down alot but thats just me. Its a Lamborghini, so i set her up as such. Then again i haven’t ever tried the comfort settings. Just middle and agressive. No more comfort at comfort btw. Just more wobble and squirreliness.

Participant

After reading the other great post on here about suspension settings I dialed the fronts in at 9 each and the rear at  9 also.  I also adjusted the preload on the rear shock up to the second to last notch. It made such an incredible difference I cannot even begin to describe. With just me on it it now rides like a sports car and is even more flickable (which I didnt think was possible) and with my pillion on it it actually handles our combined weight instead of wallowing at the bottom of the suspension. I couldnt be happier with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.