Engine died when down shifting?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rchong
    Participant

It happened to me twice this week, both in similar conditions as I was slowing down in traffic. As I was cycling down the gears I noticed the RPMS just died and I couldn’t move forward. I thought it was a false neutral type situation, and eventually the first time it happened I got it back in gear and was able to go again like normal. The second time however, I had to hit the engine start button again like it was completely dead. Anyone experience this? What am I doing wrong?

rlarue
    Participant

I believe it might be less of an issue with the bike and more of an issue with how you are shifting. If you are taking too long to shift and the RPMs are drop too low the bike would stall. If you were to adjust the idle speed that would help avoid this. Have you already taken the bike in for the 600 mile tune-up? I don’t have a 701 but I think you have to make idling adjustments via the ECU, so your dealer could do that. Try re-opening the throttle quicker though and see if that helps you avoid the issue.

Rchong
    Participant

OK thanks! Yeah, I try to rev match when going down, but I noticed its only been in certain situations, when slowing down in traffic. I think you’re right though because I kind of like ease into the throttle, especially after it happened because I was scared of it happening again, which sounds like ultimately caused it?

rlarue
    Participant

Sounds like it. Be conscious of how you’re shifting and see if you can keep it from happening. If not it might be worth visiting the dealer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.