Engine died mid ride; couldn't get it to start again. Or starts then dies again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Not sure what happened, but I was in the midst of riding home from work when the engine died. This has happened twice before last year, not unlike the way it had been described by others on this forum — while downshifting…, but this time I was just moving along and it died. Also different than before, I could not get it to start up again. Luckily, a car saw me flailing my arms and turned his hazards on to slow the rest of traffic down and I could push my bike across the lane to get to the side of the road. From there, I waited a bit and tried to start the engine again, and it wouldn’t turn over. I tried this a few times, and eventually it was able to start. But then it would idle for a few seconds and die again. or it’d idle, and i’d open the throttle and it would rev up a little but then it’d die out.

So it seems like something of a fuel issue. But not sure what. I just filled it up with gas earlier this morning on the way in to work and I always use premium. (I know someone had mentioned on one of the threads that maybe the engine dying is caused by bad fuel…) Anyway, I was able to push it to a valid parking spot so tomorrow morning I’ll get it towed to the dealership. But does anyone have any clues? Also, pretty damn frightening for the bike to die on a busy street during rush hour! (on Mercer Street in South lake union Seattle for those of you here…)

Fred from franceFred from france
    Participant

Hello, on a 4 cylinder engine when a spark plug is out you loose half power and the bike have an other sound.

On a mono cylinder the engin is out.

May be it s the ignition.

Participant

Boo….Seattle…lol. lived up that for a year…way too busy for me, I like the country.

I’m not the best trouble shooter, but I would check spark and fuel first. Either one equals no go…any mods that effect either?

Participant

Nope haven’t done any mods to the bike other than change the mirrors and a couple other cosmetic things. Not handy enough around a bike to really look into it myself.. The manual said to check the fuses, so I went back down to where I left the bike to check them and they’re fine. Was able to get the bike to start, but didn’t trust riding it up a hill back home.

justijusti
    Participant

Strange, I had the exact same experience yesterday with my Vitpilen 401 (late 2018 and 4300 Km).

Monday on my way to work, I rode about 500 meters and it just died after the traffic light was green, after I switched to second gear. I tried to start it again, no luck, third try it run for 5-10 seconds and died again. Walked home on the bike lanes (The Netherlands) and just 500 meters from home.

I had a good ride on Friday night and filled it full with gas and parked it in the garden. Oil level was good. Last Oil fill was with 1000 Km.

Tonight, I first want to make sure the oil level is ok again and try to ride it again. Because Oil level was suddenly around minimum when I checked it on Monday evening.

rlaruerlarue
    Participant

Strange. Were you going uphill when it stalled?

There’s a motorcycle towing guy here in Seattle called Lowside. I’ve never used him but I hear he’s reasonable. https://lowsidetna.com

Participant

@justi I have almost the exact same mileage on mine (2600 miles = ~4200km) I’ve never filled the oil unless it was done during the first servicing. Pretty sure there’s oil in there, but I can check. Our stories are eerily similar. Only interesting thing is that we both had just filled up with gas. I did it about three minutes before I parked it for eight hours or so. Then the problem occurred maybe half-mile (1km) after I started it up and riding…

Participant

@rlarue No. fortunately it was a slight downhill. Thanks for the tow recommendation. Will first try my insurance company as I assume roadside assistance will cover this.

justijusti
    Participant

@ultramaroon I really hope you have your bike back today.

FYI I just ride the bike without any issue at all! I only put 200 ml 15W50 oil in it.

I did not ride very long, but just half an hour in and around my small town, in case of walking home. But no failure of what so ever.

I think it is some kind of a sensor issue and hopefully it will not pop up again, especially not on the high way …

Tomorrow I’ll give it a try to ride to work (75 Km) … fingers crossed …

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

This happened to me twice. Both times after a fill up. My suspicion is that it’s choking out due to over filling the tank.  The way I picture it, is that fuel is splashing into the vacuum port(?) and creating a bit of an air lock similar to holding liquid in a straw with your finger on the end. It could be many different things and this is just an idea I’m having without looking at my bike to see if it’s even possible.

justijusti
    Participant

@Beckpilen thank you for sharing and indeed this time I was over filling my tank for the first time …

Participant

@beckpilen @justi thanks for the info. I’ve filled it up similarly in the past, but who knows. maybe it just sloshed around more or I was on more of an incline or something. at any rate, it’s at the dealership now…

Participant

Service guys confirmed I had an overfilled tank with gas splashing out and causing the issues. They drained some gas out and everything is working again. Glad for everyone’s help and hopefully this helps someone else out there.

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

Awesome,man. I thought about this a lot and I’m glad this is it as it’s a free solution.

justijusti
    Participant

@ultramaroon great to hear and good that you have your bike back. Thank you and @beckpilen for sharing your Husky experiences and thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.