Engine cutting out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hey everyone, I recently picked up a vitpilen 401 and on the way home and at least once every ride the bike will stall when down shifting. This is my 3rd bike so I know I’m not down shifting incorrectly but it is my first single cylinder bike. Is this a common thing for the vitpilen?</p>
    Has anyone contacted husqvarna about this problem and found a solution?

At first I thought it might be the kickstand jumping loose on bumpy roads causing the engine to stop as a safety but it also happens on smooth roads.

I’m assuming it chokes out because it has a misfire and with it being a 1 cylinder engine it doesn’t have any other cylinders to compensate. It’s not every downshift but it’s happened enough times for it to be looked into. Any suggestions?

Participant

Hi,

i’m facing also this issue.. do you solve?

I’m reading many solutions, but i don’t really see a solution.. i don’t know what i can say to my dealer..

My cut off when i press the clutch in 2/3 gear…

Participant

I just recently experienced something like this, I was on my way home from work and the bike would run fine on the throttle but as soon as I lifted it would shut down.  had to crank it for a long time while holding the accelerator open as if it was flooded, then it’d re- fire and run find until the next time I accelerated and then slowed, so going thru the next stop light.  Hasn’t done it again.  Anyone?

ZapfZapf
    Participant

Had the same issue 3 times so far. Bike has done 2500km. Last time was in middle of a high speed roundabout. I have been riding for 15 years so not fussed, I just pulled the clutch in and restarted motor via starter so no big deal for me. But might be different for a beginner.

loadedloaded
    Participant

Greetings – Same issue here.  Clutch in, blip the throttle and it stalls.

Participant

Hello all,

i reply to this topic only to say that my dealer solve the problem only with ECU reset.

Now it’s more than 10 days with no shutdowns.

Participant

Happened a lot to me as well. I received a software update and replaced my dashboard cluster. That helped for a bit but then it has stalled twice within the last 100 kms. Has anyone had the update and dashboard replacement with no further stalling issues?

Participant

I thought it was just me too!! Same thing, figured might be the kick stand since I was driving on some fairly bumpy roads. Then the last time it happened, I was on nice flat roads. It also struggled to start back up as well. Had to gas the throttle for it to turn over and held the throttle down until the light turned green. This was a few days ago but it hasn’t happened since. We’ll see.

Participant

This happened to me several times in the beginning with my svartpilen 401. Each time in the first kilometers, passing from the third to the second keeping the clutch disengaged and braking hard to stop. Now I do not stop in second gear but I go down to the first gear and I have never had engine failure in these conditions. I hope it can help.

Cela m’est arrivé plusieurs fois au début avec ma svartpilen 401. A chaque fois dans les premiers kilometres en passant de la troisieme à la deuxieme en gardant l’embrayage débrayé et en freinant fort pour m’arrêter. Maintenant je ne m’arrête plus en seconde mais je descend jusqu’à la premiere et je n’ai plus jamis eu de coupure moteur dans ces conditions. J’espère que ca pourra aider.

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

I had a similar issue, but what it turned out to be was overfilling the tank. After a fill up, it looks like there are 2 more bars on the gauge, leading me to believe that I could be putting more in. I did, and me next morning after riding up my parade ramp, I got a few stalls on my ride to work. What was happening was an airlock due to fuel splashing into the evap port. Take note if your issue is happening after riding an incline especially after fueling.

RayRay
    Participant

Hi all! I hope no one got into much troubles with this issue! I got only 500km on Svartpilen 701, and already had it twice happened to me too. As it seams not a big deal, I’m afraid it actually is. I just had a second time engine shut and rear wheel locked up while I was turning, went sideways! I managed to stay up and luckily no one was around me. Honestly, I’m f…ing scared now to ride it, and I hope it won’t take anybody life, before Husqy will fix it! Its an awesome little bike, BUT with this issue it can be deadly! I can only imagine, if this happens and would be easily related to it, it’d be complete recall of all bikes worldwide and most likely end of life all Pilens!

RayRay
    Participant

I can also add, it did happened to me while I was in 2nd gear, which is consistent with other cases here.

Keeping this thread alive in case anyone has found a solution.

I have just over 100 miles on my new 401 and have had the engine die 5 times on me already mostly while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I’ve become a “pro” at restarting the bike while coasting just so I don’t get hit from behind. It’s pathetic for a new bike. I’ve even had the engine die on me while idling in neutral just sitting on my driveway!

I took it to a local Husqvarna dealer and they took it in for about an hour and said they could not replicate the issue so they could not help. Very frustrating since it’s a safety hazard.

If anyone has found a solution please post it here and if possible please include the name of the dealership that fixed the issue so that I can have my dealer call them for guidance.

Participant

This happened to me once last year on my Vitpilen 401,  ran fine so long as I was on the throttle, as soon as I’d lift off it’d shut down.  Long crank/re-start with throttle held open as if flooded, eventually it’d restart, be fine until the next time I lifted, and shut off again.  Repeated this process 3-4 times between a couple stop lights, hasn’t done it since.  Anyone ever find out what the issue is?

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

Sounds like a sticky fuel injector. I had this issue, but only after a tank fill. The gauge always had a few blank bars so I overfilled it. What would happen is that after I’d go up the ramp of my parkade, the incline would pour fuel into the evap port and cause the tank to airlock. I don’t fill it past that little cross bar anymore and I haven’t had that issue since. You issue sounds a little different due to the fact that you can run with throttle. I would think your idle was too low but since it’s gone away, I’d venture a guess that it might have had something to do with the fuel injector.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.