Duke 390 upper triple tree compatible with the 401??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

Hey guys i have recently stumbled upon a user that claimed they had used the Duke 390’s upper triple tree to do his handlebar conversion on his Vit 401 is this possible ? if so this would be a drastic difference in price to the ABM conversion kit the part on the link below which is shown as #3 is the dukes upper triple tree that us under 60 bucks in comparison to almost 600 dollars and a month wait for ABM

any thoughts has anyone attempted this ?

https://www.ktmpartspro.com/oemparts/a/ktm/5ad0d8daeb0bed6448e03639/front-fork-triple-clamp

Skunk1961Skunk1961
    Participant

Hi

I am the person who made the conversion. See white arrow Liverpool for images. It was not straight forward. I used the duke 390 triple clamp and clutch cable for the extra length as I installed wide motocross’s fat bars.

Due to the bars I chose the cables had to be lengthened, but if you use a straight or narrower bar you wouldn’t have to do this.

The other bit I had to do was make 2 small brackets for the wiring holder which sits behind the headlight but the upside was I got a triple clamp and cable for less than 100 bucks on eBay 😎😎😎🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

The bike is way more comfortable and feels like a super moto, easy to flick around.

I didn’t do any sketches or anything to make the little brackets required a small flat piece of metal, a saw and a drill, took about an hour to do the conversion.

oh. 1 thing the steering lock on the duke triple clamp only locks in one direction.

I hope this is of some help, I will post some closeup photos next week

Regards Richard 🇿🇦🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇮🇲🏍🏍🏍😎

Skunk1961Skunk1961
    Participant

Here are some images.

Handlebars

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

@Skunk1961 do you know what year the 390 triple tree was or are they all the same ?

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

also would love to see those closeups especially of those brackets you are talking about i need to look closer into my stock clamp see how its sitting, also you are saying it only locks one side ? i wasn’t aware the Vit could be locked both left and right are you still able to lock and secure it properly ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.