Doing the Bar conversion!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Matthew 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

OK, I have 170 miles and carry a neck ache each time I ride. Doing the Svart tree conversion. Ordered pro taper Low bars in magnesium and Svart clamp.

Are these the risers I need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-ProTaper-Rubber-Mount-Kit-Fat-Bar-Clamps-1-1-8-28-5mm-Oversize-NEW/163572699766?epid=1811846480&hash=item2615b15276:g:P0sAAOSwNClceV0a

I will update as this all rolls along.

Daniel Taylor
    Participant

How did you get along?

thank you

Matthew
    Participant

Same….No farther. Hoping parts from Austria arrive early next week. I now have 550 miles on the bike with stock bars…I have become more comfortable with it, but still have a pinch at neck or upper back after about 10-15 minutes on. I have taken my hands off bars and moved to about where the bars will be, seems like it will be WAY more comfortable to cruise. I think my position is worse than most…I am about 5’8″ and its just a real stretch for me. While I am doing all the bars work, I think I will replace the clutch perch also to get rid of mirror bung. Probably opt for the Protaper perch with Hot start switch. I’ll throw some photos up when it all comes along. Anyone seeing this do any similar conversions?

symptom777
    Participant

Ha – should have bought the black one!!!

I spent ages deciding on the vit or zvart variants, because the vitpilen just looks better, but the riding position  seemed like a prescription for back ache. So it was the svartpilen.

Sorry for this smartarse and totally unhelpful answer.

Matthew
    Participant

Matthew
    Participant

Well I’m having no luck uploading photos tonight, but I made progress. Parts arrived from Austria. Several pieces were not needed due to pro taper risers being used, but I got started. Vit bars and upper tree came off after some wedge work and loosening the controls. New svart upper is slid in and bars are mounted loose for mock up. Trouble I’m seeing at the moment is there is an index hole needed for throttle control. I was hoping to avoid holes in the bars but it looks like I’m needing just one. I’ll have a look on some threads and report back in the am. What I can tell you, with the bars mocked up, it’s feeing fantastic as sitting with feet down or up. Wow…what a difference.

Daniel Taylor
    Participant

rather have a bike i actually like the look of- and if need be one can do the conversion.

actually saw this today and thought the combination was horrible.

hope the picture uploads.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t1BcJLMcDxUikk4BA

Matthew
    Participant

That appears to just be a svart with the vitsvart livery. I wanted the bronze wheels and white livery as well as sporty seat and no luggage rack.

I think the end result I will have is going to be very cool. At least to me. I like messing with parts and what not, and my bike will be mildly customized and certainly different from the pack. I plan on adding the competition werkes full system exhaust and some nice levers with new perches without the mirror bungs. Tighter blinkers eventually.

I believe it will be a great looking tracker/café looking ride with a performance feel.

Matthew
    Participant

OK back to the project. I messed with it a bit more this AM before the office. I installed the Svart clutch cable, and its a must have….I could have used the vit, but that metal sleeve on it is just all kinds of wrong for the rise. Brake hose will also be possible by removing the zipties holding it tight to the frame. I don’t see an issue with it moving more free. With that and rotating the hose end on the Cylinder, it should fit with no issues. I do appear to need to extend all wires. I am not really excited but also not concerned about it. I will solder each connection and heat wrap. It should all fit in the harness covers fine. Keep in mind, I am cutting the controls harnesses, not the main bike harness. I see some get it to all fit without cutting…I have opened the electrical housing behind the headlamp and I have it all fully extended and its not close. I blame that on my use of protaper bars and risers that likely have different dimensions that Svart stock stuff. Again, no big…it will all work out. Hope to have an update later this evening.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.