DIY seat bag holders for Vitpilen 701

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Hugo
    Participant

Hey there !

I’ve been looking around for rear saddle bag carriers for my Vitpilen 701 cuz I want to be able to carry some stuff with me when I go out on trips, and the ones I found were pretty expensive, and even more adding the fact that I live in France so I’d have to add 35$ for shipping : https://www.ktm-parts.com/21012978030.html

So I decided to make them myself, but didn’t get the time to do it yet. Problem is: I have to go for a trip for the week-end, and my bagpack isn’t enough to carry my stuff (plus I hate having a bagpack when I ride). So I came up with a super quick and easy idea to still be able to mount my big bag on the back of my bike even without the fancy brackets, and wanted to share it with you as it’s really super easy, effective and inexpensive.

Here is what I came up with:

First, you buy 4 of these M8 “ring bolts” (here in France I found them for 3€ each at Leroy Merlin, French equivalent to Home Depot I’d say, in the nautical section – added bonus, they are made of stainless steel to handle the salted sea so no risk of rust in the rain). I also added a rubber washer (found in the plumbing section) just to create a seal to make sure no water would come up under the seat, and also to avoid scratching the bike. Also, sorry for dirty hands haha 🙃

Then, you screw them in the four holes that are under the bike, above the rear wheel, until they are all parallel with the bike.

And then, well, it’s easy, just mount your bag!

As you can see, I also attached a strap to each passenger peg, adding more horizontal stability and preventing the bag from sliding towards the back when accelerating.

I’m going on my big ride this afternoon so I didn’t try the whole system on the road yet, I’ll let you know how it went when I come back on sunday, but I don’t think that anything could go wrong (still, I wouldn’t recommend you to do it until I give some feedback, just in case haha, I wouldn’t want to be responsible for anything bad happening to you 🙂 )

Anyways, I’m sure this could help a lot of you guys, as it’s a really quick, easy and hella cheap solution! Plus of course you just have to unscrew the rings when you’re back home so your bike doesn’t look too silly.

I still might make the full brackets when I get some free time, I’ll also update this topic if I do make them.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and have a great day!

Cheers,

Hugo

Hugo
    Participant

Update after the trip: everything went super smooth, the bag didn’t move at all even though we rode basically on every kind of roads (highways with pretty high speeds, small roads with twisties, bumpy and bad roads, etc.), so I can confirm this system holds up perfectly 🙂 Also, as the passenger seat is pretty far behind the pilot seat, you don’t even feel the bag in your back so it doesn’t disturb your driving.

Olivier
    Participant

I like your genius !

j’aime bien ton ingéniosité !

Aren’t you afraid that the straps will rub against the metal part under the seat that serves as a rear buckle? It’s satin black matt, the straps tend to vibrate and therefore scratch the paint?

t’as pas peur que les sangles frottent contre la partie métallique sous la selle qui sert de boucle arrière ? c’est du black mat satiné les sangles ont tendances a vibrer et donc de rayer la peinture?

Hugo
    Participant

Thanks Olivier 🙂 I’m not really worried about that as I don’t think that you can scratch paint with a strap, but I’ll still keep an eye on potential wearing signs. In any case, I don’t plan to attach my bag like this all year long, this system is made to be used only on some big trips from time to time, I’d be a bit more worried if it was a permanent thing in which case, yes, wearing signs could very probably appear with time…

Merci Olivier 🙂 Ça ne m’inquiète pas trop dans le sens où je doute qu’on puisse rayer de la peinture avec une sangle, mais je surveillerai quand même l’apparition de traces d’usure. De toute façon,  je ne compte pas fixer mon sac comme ça tous les jours toute l’année, ça reste un système “exceptionnel” uniquement sur certains grands trajets, je serais plus inquiet si c’était quelque chose de permanent où là, oui, il y aurait très certainement des traces qui apparaîtraient avec le temps…

Olivier
    Participant

Every time I strapped against metal I had some kind of friction.

I’ll probably test your system to make a little road trip with my Vitpilen and I’ll add pieces of bicycle inner tubes to protect where there is contact.

A chaque fois que j’ai sanglé contre du métal j’ai eu une sorte de frottement.

Je vais surement tester ton système pour faire un ptit road trip avec ma Vitpilen je rajouterai des morceaux de chambre à air de vélo pour protéger là où il y a contact

Hugo
    Participant

Ok, good to know, I’ll probably go for this solution too, thanks for the tip! And feel free to update this topic if you try 🙂

Ok, bon à savoir, je ferai sûrement ça aussi du coup, merci pour le conseil ! Et n’hésite pas à update si tu essaies 🙂

DuctTape
    Participant

That’s a smart solution, I like it!

Do you think you could’ve gotten away with just 2 ring bolts instead of 4?

Hugo
    Participant

Thanks! Yes definitely, it was actually my first intention as the two rings on the front are kinda redundant with the passenger pegs, but hey, more is always better so I went with 4 😬 And also, I think it helps forcing the bag to really stay on the rear seat, otherwise I think it would slip a little bit more towards the front, thus disturbing the driving as you would feel it against your back

DuctTape
    Participant

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

wolfie109
    Participant

Do you know what thread pitch those bolts are?

Hugo
    Participant

Hi @wolfie109 , these are standard european M8 bolts, so unless the internet is wrong it should be a 1 mm pitch

Vanessa
    Participant

The standard pitch for M8 threads is 1.25mm. This is also known as the coarse thread pitch. The less common M8 fine pitch is 1.0mm

I’d expect those hardware store eyelets to be M8x1.25mm, but I could be wrong.

Hugo
    Participant

Ah crap haha, thanks for the correction @Vanessa , guess I searched the wrong way 🙁

Vanessa
    Participant

Hey no worries, I work with threads all the time, so the sizes and pitches are ingrained in my memory 🙂

Voxan
    Participant

I love what you did 🙂 i’ll do the same because i’m planning to do a 385kms road with no gas station nor cities and i need to go with a 20L canister + bag

Super montage je vais faire pareil, effectivement en équivalent leroy merlin il y a home dépot, réno dépot ou canadian tire. Le coté inox m’est requis je suis au Québec et du sel je vais en bouffer ! L’année dernière on a 1 bordée de neige 2 semaines avant l’interdiction de rouler c’est à ce moment là que ce sera utile !

Je prévois de faire une route ou il y a 385KMs sans station essence donc embarquer un jerrican de 20L et mes affaires par dessus ta solution me parait la plus fiable de toutes 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.