Cutting out in first gear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all. I got my Vitpilen 701 last night, 1300 miles on the clock. Riding it into work today and when accelerating in 1st gear it seems to cut out or have no fuel, I clutch in a d go to second gear and it doesn’t do it. Did the same thing 3 times and never in any other gear.

Great forum by the way, hope I can contribute in the future

Participant

That means you can only drive in 1st gear? Then the shifting star is broken.

Participant

No as I said I can change to second and it doesn’t happen. It’s like the quick shifter is kicking in in first or something.

Participant

If you accidentally touch the gear lever it can activate the quick shifter. Shifting from low revs into the next higher gear and the engine will stall. Adjust the gear lever according to the owners manual.

Participant

Ok thanks I’ll look into that. Maybe my foot is touching the gear lever, but then it never happens in any other gear. Mmm weird.

Participant

It happened to me several times in second gear at roundabouts. Talked to the dealer and he had it with his demo bike when doing wheelies. After adjusting the gear lever it never happened again. Good luck! I would also adjust all other parts at the same time to your size, boots and riding position. You will appreciate it on longer journeys!

David BrazilDavid Brazil
    Participant

Agreed. Quickshifter is likely culprit. Happened to me as well.

Often, subconsciously, you lift your foot slightly anticipating the shift. And this can activate the ignition break even if you do not fully shift.

I adjusted mine and it’s much, much better.

Participant

Thanks all gonna flow up with adjustments this weekend and making conscious effort to not touch gear changer between shifts.

TBH I’m 50 this week, been on bikes since I was 15 and never ride a bike with a quick shifter before so I don’t consciously use it. I still use clutch….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.