Custom air intake for 390 KTM big gains expeted !

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeanfons 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jeanfons
    Participant

Hi,

If some people are interested “Gray Area KTM” is selling a new air box who show hudge gains at high rpm !

Reffering to the manufacturer part number, the vit and the duke have the same air box ( the seller has checked), so it should fit for us !

I ordered it already, i’ll keep u posted.

( !! You need a Piggyback to get the benefit of it and you may damage your motor without by running to lean)

Jeanfons
    Participant

elbastos
    Participant

Hi,

Definitely interested in this one. Did you already install a piggyback (or Coober or any other fuel controller) or will you be installing both at the same time? Do you know if there are special maps available to cope with the extra air? Did you consider going all the way and also adding a decat pipe?

I find that the performance gains of an ecu only (whatever brand) are not really significant on small engines like the 401’s (just a personal opinion), but with an improved air intake we start talking serious business.

If I look on GreyArea’s website, I am not sure to read the graphs correctly and I would be interested to compare the results with the stock engine, but it seems to me there is a lot more torque coming lower in rpms (as soon as 3.000 if I am not mistaken).

Anyway let us know when you have installed this thing, I am sure all are pretty interested in the results.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  elbastos.

Vp-1
    Participant

What mods are done to the airbox and what is the cost?

rod frost
    rod frost
    Participant

Here is a thread from the KTM 390 Duke forum from a 390 mod using the same air intake etc. plus some other mod which may be compatible with the 401 (post 149 of 167)    https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/appearance-modifications/33353-cdn-dukes-build-thread-15.html

Vp-1
    Participant

Thanks Rod

I tried this and could not get it to work as smooth as i wanted to. The bigger injector may be  what i need to make it work.

Jeanfons
    Participant

@elbastos : For now my bike is modded like this :

-DNA Air filter

-Mivv suono pipe (decat), stock muffler

-power commander 5 with a custom map made by a tunner ( first map for the Vit he said : Worldwide 🙂 (joking) ). My bike is also equip with something that cut the signal the from the lambda probe.

The air box isn’t shipped yet so i couldn’t tell you anything about it 🙂 (look for CDN duke’s post on the 390 forum, he has tested it). Concerning the low rev, i’m affraid there’s no gain with this mod.

If you’re looking for torque you should look on the ecu side (Cobber, PW5 etc…) and if you’re only looking for torque, i think you can stay with the stock parts (filter and exhaust). I will go for the coober in that case : from what i understood it is “tailored” for the stock bike.

@vp-1 : I’ve seen that you have a cobber and work closely with them.

From what i understand, the cobber is a fixed map richer than stock ?

How the cobber can adapt the AFR with new parts ? When you say that the injector is the limiting factor, this is make me thinking that the cobber is able to send a signal that is using the full capability of the injector ?

I a kind of a newbie in those parts and i tend to think that the PW5 offers much flexibility ?  ( and way less reliability )! I’m a bit lost !

Cya

Jeanfons
    Participant

Hi,

Just to say that this airbox has a shorter air intake inside. It makes a big difference, awsome top end ( the power grows till the rev limiter) and pretty unoticable loss in low rpms. (and it fits like a charm)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Jeanfons.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.