Coolant leak, upper angle connector

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Guys!

I wonder if anyone have met the issue I’m experiencing right now. Both of the caps are dry, it looks like the source of the coolant is from beneath the angle connector located on the coolant reservoir. The coolant shows after few km. Leak 1

Leak 2

Participant

I haven’t seen this issue on my bike, strange question to ask, but I don’t hear my fans running much when riding, is this the same with all of y’all’s bikes?

Participant

Coolant leak looks exactly the same for me. Angle connector is wet. Went from max to min in ~1300km.

@Christopher Lee fans for me are also not running. but that’s normal. wait for warmer weather and they will start up when you stuck in traffic for longer time.

Participant

In my bike, when it’s >17 Celsius and stuck in a traffic the fans start to work. When I ride semi-aggressively the temp. Squares sometimes go as low as 3 squares (mostly when temp. Is <15 celsius). Stuck in the traffic it goes to 5 squares and the fans start to work.

@kawum
    from what I see the leak is minor. I just wonder if someone already fixed this or heard any theories from the dealers. I know that the duke 690 had a story with the coolant. When the coolant level was higher than the minimum, it was leaking.

My coolant level is a bit above the middle. The harder I ride the more it shows.

Participant

I just bought my bike yesterday. Drove close to 200 miles with no issues. Pulled into my driveway at 2 am and discovered the radiator bubbling out that same spot as previous posters mentioned. I am relieved it could be normal but I had a fair amount of coolant leaking out. My cap was a little loose though.

I also had a bit of an electronic burning smell like you get from a power tool with bad brushes. Anyone else experience that?

Participant

I don’t know anything about the smell, have you located the source?

When I got my bike, the coolant cap was loose and the coolant was everywhere. I hope that that’s the case with your bike. My angle connector was sealed by the dealer and everything is good so far. 🙂

Chris: Regarding fan noise:  I hear the fan come on quite regularly if I am in traffic or after a good run. I don’t hear it when riding at speed (it would just get drowned out).

Participant

I refilled the the radiator (only needed about a tenth a liter)  and started the bike.

my dealer says the smell is probably the coolant burning off. The smell isn’t as strong now and seems to come from the exhaust before it goes to the CAT. The exhaust is red- hot though. It makes me worry.

Of course now I have a yellow engine light and the side stand down message is on when the stand is up. Looks like the magnet fell out.  Maybe I should of bought a Honda..

Red hot exhaust

Participant

Its July 19th and my bike has been in the dealership service department for close to a month now. They are replacing the oxygen sensor and the kickstand. They say the pipe glowing red hot is normal and haven’t explained why there was a coolant leak. The one day I actually drove it was fun though.

Participant

Got my bike back from the dealership. Warranty covered all repairs. Working great. Rode about 150 miles with no issues since picking it back up Saturday.

MaxenceMaxence
    Participant

Good to hear that man ! Hope you will not have more issues.

About the exhaust, it’s normal, it glow in the dark. Because the material of the exhaust is very thin. You won’t see that during the day and while you’re moving (cause the air cool down it). Don’t warm up too long your bike on the sidestand tho!

Participant

Maxence,

thanks for the reassurance. The dealership told me that but I didn’t quite trust their explanation.

Participant

What coolant is the best for our bikes?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

The red exhaust is nothing to worry about, I’ve had many bikes do that (BMW R1100GS, Suzuki DR650, Ducati Scrambler among others). They all had one thing in common: thinwalled stainless steel headers…

Participant

I haven’t noticed a coolant leak, but I have noticed the coolant level in the compensating tank goes down slightly over time. Is this normal? Over the course of a year it goes slowly from the max level to the min level (levels checked when the bike is cold).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.