coober ecu review

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am using an MTX-L from Innovate with a Bosch LSU4.9 sensor. You cannot replace the original O2 sensor, as this is a standard narrow band sensor with a smaller diameter. So I welded another bung into the header for the LSU4.9. The MTX-L generates a programmable simulation signal for the ECU, which is really helpful. So you can run the engine also in closed loop mode at a different O2 level.

I have a switch installed, were I can change between original O2 sensor signal and the MTX-L simulation signal while riding. The real lambda value can be directly monitored on the MTX-L and I also store it in my selfbuilt datalogger together with all relevant engine information (rpm, ingition timing, amount of fuel, TPS position, temperature, wheel speed, etc.). I will also monitor and analyse the quickshifter functionality now at the Vitpilen, which is new to me compared to the Duke.

The system is quite complex, but very powerful. There is a thread at ktmforum.eu. Look for “Kurze Erklärung zu meinen Messungen”, there you can find some infos to my “development work” with the Duke.

Participant

I installed mine yesterday and thought I’d found a nice place to tuck it away on top of the starter motor. Brani at Coober said I’d have problems though due to the magnetic fields interfering with the electronics. There must be somewhere better to put it than cable tied to the frame!

Coober

Participant

I spoke with the guys at Dynojet today. They don’t seem to have a clue as to what’s going on.

The rep said that they are working on one for the 401 vitpilen and the 2019 701 svartpilen. I asked why they would work on something for a bike that hasn’t even been released yet when we’re waiting for a power commander and he said he didn’t know. I also asked if either of the other two power commanders they make for the 693 engine, either for the duke or the supermoto would work and he said he didn’t know. FYI they are two different part numbers so I assume they’re not the same. This is a project I would love to tackle (fitting the supermoto PC to the vit) but all of my experience is mechanical not electrical and I don’t want to make a mess of it.

Participant

So I did a little research, here are the facts

according to the Husky dealer the ECM part number is 613 410 31000

according to the KTM dealer that part number corresponds to the ECM for the 1190 and 1290 bikes

This baffles me because those are twins, not singles. I was hoping that it was the same part as is on the 690 duke and thereby would allow us to use the Powercommander for that model.

If i had 330 dollars burning a hole in my pocket i would buy the PC for the 1290 and give it a shot but I dont know how that would work.

QwandreeQwandree

I would be really surprised if the ecu is the same part from super duke r but I guess it’s possible.

Participant

It doesn’t make any sense to me at all, I will call another KTM dealer and ask them to run the part number today after I verify it with the Husky dealer.

Participant

If you guys ditched the standard Battery and went with a smaller Li-ion battery, does that make enough room under the seat for the Coober Unit?

Would lose a few kilos also.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by AvatarRaoul.
    Participant

Yes, I did think about that as I am planning to get an Anti Gravity battery at some point. But you would have to make up another loom as I don’t think the current one is long enough. Mine is happily running on top of the starter motor without any problems (approx 300 kms).

QwandreeQwandree

I have a small lithium battery installed. TC is right, the wiring won’t reach that far.

Participant

Hello guys,

I frown the Coober unit, for one it’s locked like the ecm or the ecu. I found out later, they talk out of both sides of their mouths. In all essence they have legal moral obligations to stay within guidelines placed by the government emission laws.

I had put it on my bike while modifying the things I know will work and protect the motor. I had read it is beneficial when putting on the after market pipes with the de-cat removed and buy-pass in place. Also I modified my air box as a fully opened intake with a K&N filter. I finally took it off till the Power Commander becomes available for my bike. In it’s place I welded a bung for standard Innovate wide band O2 and controller, with one channel changed to work like a stock O2 narrow band, then to run a tad bit richer while the ecu thinks it’s running stock air fuel ratio. I put a Innovate air fuel gauge to make sure I am not running too lean, that’s output on another channel as a standard wide band setting.

Nobody out there will do a tune on the bike because the engine management cannot be access, try asking the dealer to modify your fueling map, ha! Also I do not know if the dealer is willing to turn off the ABS and Traction Control so you don’t have to do it every time to go on your ride. Someone out there eventually will be able to have a hacking program to give us more freedom of choice to do what’s needed on the 701 Vitpilen.

I have a Power Commander V coming any day from Rottweiler Performance, that’s available now for my bike. Dyno Tune is getting one setup for the Vitpilen, but don’t have a release date. It’s on their web site.

I did try one from Power Commander V for a Husky 701 SM and did not work on my bike(same motor and ecu part number), for some reason the injector connection through the Power Commander to the factory unit did not receive the proper volts indicating the presence of the injector. You get a Traction Control fault. I found my problem with a OBD11 scanning diagnostic tool. At first I email the tech. support and was told a good choice for such a unit and later I emailed them after finding a problem I was told they do not recommend doing so and they are very bike specific units, duh! Huh? Another 2 sides of the mouth syndrome!

I will post my modifications on this other post headline, if anyone is interested.

What I put in this post is not to be a put down, or myself claimed to be an expert on the matter of the products, just my opinion. Any backlash will be met with Teflon and trash can nearby.

QwandreeQwandree

Those are all fair comments on the coober. If you get a PCV running on the bike would love to know the results. And if you get ambitious, you could do a dyno comparison between the coober and PCV. Would LOVE to see that.

Im happy with the coober for now (also have a decat pipe, drilled airbox and k&n) but would love to get even more out of the little engine if possible.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.