Clutch slave problem = clutch fluid in engine ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hello</p>
    i came across the famous clutch slave cylinder problem on my brand new Vitpilen 701 .

It’s now fix ( for how long ?) but was wondering if that problem systematically means that some clutch hydraulic fluid went inside the motor which can cause engine gasket to swell .

many Thanks

Satur9Satur9
    Participant

It depends. Mine failed on mile 12. Clutch master cylinder was  still full.  Slave got stuck.when I removed it no brake fluid was inside motor. Now if you actually lost fluid. It could have been enough to get  into oil and that’s bad.the general consensus has been to just change the oil.i haven’t heard of anyone having gasket problems after that. But  I would ask dealer about it.

Participant

Slave o-ring Many thanks for sharing your experience on that situation . Feel a bit more comfortable since my master cylinder was full still when problem occur .

I’ve notice a small puddle of liquid under my bike and when I remover the sprocket cover I saw some black rubber coming out of the slave .

Participant

There is a 701 at the dealer where i brought my one that has had the slave cylinder fixed three times under warranty. Every time it was fixed with KTM parts instead of the owner being proactive and buying the aftermarket kit to make it right. The dealership was just doing what it was told by KTM. After the third time it failed the owner said take it back and he brought a Triumph, the mechanic i spoke too said the bike is going back to KTM to figure out why it kept on failing.

Participant

If repaired under warranty the dealership should have performed an oil change. Having said this, I would imagine the chance of engine damage is very low due to the small amount of fluid in the first place, let alone most of it was still in your cylinder.

I highly recommend buying an oberon clutch slave.  Worth the peace of mind, never having to think about the fault again.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

The odds of clutch fluid in the engine after a failed slave cylinder are not that big imho.

– there’s a cavity between the clutch slave and the engine case
    – there a seal on the push rod preventing engine oil escaping the crank case, I bet it seals the other way around too.

Unless of course you keep adding clutch fluid to top off the reservoir and end up having addded cups of fluid.

Participant

Not the case so far, fluid reservoir didn’t drop much when i had the issue. Mostly had drips on the floor.

Just hope that dealer put it back correctly (clutch slave) because i’ve just noticed a huge clunk and make the bike jump when engaging 1st gear from neutral.

Maybe it was like that when new ?? i dont remember , is it because of mono cylinder having a lot torque ? but my wike’s KTM duke 390 doesn’t jump like mine.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

There could be still a tiny bit of air left in the hose, so the clutch doesn’t disengage completely.

Participant

I had the clutch slave cylinder problem on the first day. My retailer fixed it but didn’t change the oil because because ”A spoonful of clutch fluid doesn’t do any harm”. After 600 km I was still bothered by it so they did change the oil so I didn’t have to think about it anymore. They found small amount of thick mush inside the engine. Importer and retailer both said that there has been no harm and everything has worked well after that (now 5000km behind). Can I already forget the whole thing or do you think there can still be some consequences afterwards?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.