Clutch Pulse/Click on Shift

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aidensfaidensf
    Participant

I just had my 2019 Svartpilen 401 in for it’s 1000km/621mi service, and since getting it back (ridden about 3-4 times, short commutes) I’ve noticed a distinct “pulse” or “click” in the clutch lever on shifting, particularly during upshifts. I would note this is different than the feeling of the PASC kicking in on downshifts; it feels like something is giving the cable a quick, light snap and that’s coming back into the lever. Additionally, alongside this, it feels as if the clutch is heavier and more fatiguing than it was prior to the service.

I’ve tried adjusting both clutch free play/engagement at the lever, as well as the adjustable handle position. In all circumstances the pulse remains, and the clutch still feels stiff.

Any ideas what this is?

407guy407guy
    Participant

My Svartpilen 401 is brand new for me (less than 50 miles on the ODO) and I have a similar feel from the clutch.  Subscribing…

Participant

My vit 401 has roughly 5000 miles on the clock and does the same thing especially with the lower gears.

aidensfaidensf
    Participant

Update: I was able to virtually eliminate the click/feedback by adjusting the clutch lever to significantly reduce free play. I did this at the lever, rotating the adjustment sleeve counter clockwise to hasten the cable pull, and compensated by reducing the lever distance from the grip one notch in the adjustment wheel.

This result is making me think the “click” is being caused by the clutch not being fully disengaged at time of shift. Decreasing free play is increasing the total amount of cable pull between fully released and pressed against the grip, thus more fully disengaging the clutch.

The downside of this is that the friction point of the clutch is now deeply into the release motion of the lever—I’d wager 70% of travel before it starts to bite. It’s ridable, but you really have to let it out late. It’s not what I would find ideal.

My theory in this is that, when the shop did the 1000km service, they disconnected/reconnected and/or adjusted the clutch cable at the engine, and it’s somewhat out of spec with too much slack, requiring an extreme amount of lever adjustment to pull enough clutch.

Bear in mind a) I’m a terrible mechanic, so this may not actually make sense (please tell me) and b) the bike sat for three days before this test and I made this adjustment before I rode, so it’s possible another action resolved this.

Curious what you all find in your investigations.

407guy407guy
    Participant

For me the clutch seems to be too heavy.  Not sure why or how this thumper is causing me all kinds of challenges after 20+ minutes of stop and go riding – my forearm is just burning up.  Not my first bike but my first Husqvarna (KTM) so I’m not sure if it’s the bike or me.  *shrug*

407guy407guy
    Participant

Just throwing this out there, but how does this “look” compared to others on this forum?  I’m not sure if the actuator arm should be closer to 90 degrees. (Admittedly when you look at my pix, it looks like it’s been beat to hell.)

doublure_bitedoublure_bite
    Participant

Had the same issue particularly downshifting 3 to 2 and I asked licence instructor and he told to keep a linear acceleration while downshifting.

Since then, no click or whatever… Wait & see..

Participant

There is another thread about this issue, somewhere on the forum, might find useful info there. I had the same issue for a while, when I first bought my bike (only downshifting though) and noticed that I had to completely and thoroughly pull the clutch lever (to the point where it touches the handlebar) to not feel the click whilst downshifting. So my theory was similar to @aidensf, but some people mentioned the fact this was related to the slipper clutch mechanism. I don’t feel it anymore now, so I don’t know if it had something to do with braking in the clutch/gears or if I just picked up the habit of fully pulling the lever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.