Clutch Cable Snapped

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while. Bought my vitpilen back in March and haven’t had  any issues. Until today.

Today my clutch cable snapped, luckily less than a block from my destination, but nonetheless a 6 month old bike with 100 miles short of 2000. Shitty part is, I tried to clutchless shift to neutral, but ran out of road so either hit a wall or come to a stop by shutting off the engine and hitting the brakes, which was also my luck gravel… So I dropped it as soon as it stopped (short legs, awaiting my lowering kit to come in)

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue or if I just got really, really unlucky. Bike got towed to the dealership, gonna see what they say tomorrow.

Participant

Hmmm.   I posted a while back about my clutch having a ‘binding feeling’, ‘physical click’ that I can feel through the lever, some of time, not always. It doesn’t affect engagement/disengagement of the clutch. Several others commented that their bikes too exhibited this trait (my 401 is a 2018) others said no. It is an uncomfortable sensation.

I wonder if your snapped cable was behaving like this beforehand, it doesn’t seem right to me.

Weird resistance in the clutch lever.

Participant

Everything was going smooth.

The only weird thing before this was while riding, the motor would randomly shut off coming up to a stop light. It happened twice, not sure why but I was never able to replicate it. Other than that, I was really enjoying the bike.

Participant

I was reading on another thread about failures in the clutch hydraulics in 701s. I haven’t read about it happening in 401s, but apparently it is quite common in the larger bikes. You can tell that the cable is broken as opposed to bad seals in the master or slave cylinder? Apparently it tends to drain the brake fluid from the reservoir.

Participant

. . . and I was wondering if the stalling might have something to do with the sidestand switch which will kill the engine if the sidestand is down when you engage the clutch. Might be a farfetched theory, but some part of that system could be confused.   My 401 has only stalled when I mess up.

Participant

I had the bike towed to the dealership. It was confirmed, cable broke. About 6 inches down from the clutch lever. They put in a claim with Husqvarna so we’re waiting to see what comes of it. Also waiting for a new cable to come in too.

As for the stalling, that seems probable with the kick stand, if I remember correctly, it was somewhat bumpy where I was making the turn.

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

I’m curious to see what became of this my cable snapped at 2k miles as well coincidence?
    I am much to far from my dealer so I just ordered the part myself.

bummer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.