Choking out

This topic contains 43 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Beckpilen Beckpilen 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Qwandree
    Qwandree
    Participant

Vp-1, what shop do you work at? I am in LA with a 701 and hunting around for a shop that knows these bikes well.

Vp-1
    Participant

I am all most done with my air box testing and will be posting pics soon.  About 6 months ago i was talking to brani at coober about building some performance kits and comatability with a pipe performance air filters and his ecu. He told me that the ecu could handle a pipe and an air filter no problem. He was realy interested in the mid pipe so i pulled one off the shelf and paid for it out of my own pocket and shipped it to astria for testing.  I will be shipping a new air box with mods to brani for testing in the next day or two.

Macloven
    Participant

VP-1,

this is fantastic stuff! I have my mid-pipe ordered, coober waiting to be installed, and will do whatever you come up with on the airbox. Crossing fingers that coober finds their ecu can handle  these pieces as it stands. Or maybe they can update the existing box if need be.

Thank you!

Mark

Vp-1
    Participant

this is a pick of the back of the air box air box

Vp-1
    Participant

air filterfilter mountingfilter lids

air filter is done and i am  still making small changes to the lid before i have them  laser cut. the black one was 3d printed by brani at coober.

Macloven
    Participant

Haven’t had mine apart yet to compare but guessing all the holes in the back were added. Looks like from the factory. Not sure what’s being done to the lid but sure it’ll make sense once apart.

Vp-1
    Participant

stock box

stock air box no mods to back

Fredde
    Participant

Is there any solution to this problem? Or is it tha airbox?

Qwandree
    Qwandree
    Participant

VP-1, you’ve seen coober is selling drilled/cut airbox lids now? Are those your designs?

Any word back from Brani on performance testing?

Vp-1
    Participant

I sent him werkes mid pipe and emaild some picks of what i was doing. Its my idiea and his desing.

Vp-1
    Participant

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Vp-1.

Vp-1
    Participant

That is what he used to make the maps for the ktm 390s and vitpilen. The air box stuff is done but i am working on a better pipe setup. Most of the exhaust availble are made to work  on a stock bike. These pipes are made with large dia tubeing and you start to loose big power when you open the air box.

AYOUSTIN
    AYOUSTIN
    Participant

I’ve had it happen to me a handful of times. I checked KTM forums as well. Besides lots of kickstand cases I also found cases of clutches dragging. If the clutch isn’t fully disengaging it can cause the engine to stall when you clutch in.

When I took delivery of my bike the clutch cable was WAY out of adjustment. I spent a few minutes adjusting it but never compared it to the manual spec for free play. I saw a few cases on KTM forums where guys said adjusting the cable and leaving the lever at the longest setting ended their stalling issues.

Check your kickstand switch and clutch adjustment!

Beckpilen
    Beckpilen
    Participant

I posted this on another thread, but I think this needs to be spread around

“This happened to me twice. Both times after a fill up. My suspicion is that it’s choking out due to over filling the tank.  The way I picture it, is that fuel is splashing into the vacuum port(?) for the evap canister, creating a bit of an air lock similar to holding liquid in a straw with your finger on the end. It could be many different things and this is just an idea I’m having without looking at my bike to see if it’s even possible.”

this has been verified my the OPs mechanic, so the moral of the story is that you shouldn’t over fill. Running out of fuel can be really hard on fuel injectors.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.