Chinese Parts

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

I’ve gone searching & think this is probably the video that Vanessa refers to. I’ll have a full watch tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/gux-IVDGN4U

Vanessa
    Participant

OK you have a point, I was a bit harsh. I should never post when I’m feeling angry at the world. It was just a shame to see the effect the knockoff parts were having on two guys trying to run a legit business.

The Bennetts guy also interviewed someone who works for the gov’t anti-counterfeiting team, who said it was a multi-billion dollar activity, with over 80% of copies coming from China & Hong-Kong. The cheap costs coming from poor quality and people exploitation, and the profits going to crims to fund other nefarious schemes.

I thought of all the times I might have supported shady enterprises like this and this thread hit home that the likes of Ali Express make it endemic and impossible to control.

I apologise for my tone, but it’s still a poor show for those whose legitimate businesses are suffering because of it.

James
    Participant

No problem, I can understand the anger. I’ve watched the video now & there are certainly a few points that I’d not considered. I’m afraid I started my biking when everything was cheap & cheerful in the 80s and it was a world of visits to the breakers and using pattern parts. I still seem to have a mentatility of going cheap in some areas.

I don’t know if it would be relevant to remove this thread, but I don’t seem to be able to anyway. Maybe a proper discussion on the ethics of buying these parts would be useful anyway. I’ve just tried to edit the 1st post to add a comment to scroll further down the thread for such a discussion, but don’t seem to be able to do that either.

Vanessa
    Participant

I tried to edit my previous post the following morning when I re-read it and realised it was very opinionated and heavy-handed, but alas I could not.

The advent of laser scanners and cheap CAD have made it much more easy to copy parts. Whilst I agree with the Bennetts video that there are many well-made, original and legitimate products that are made in China, the proliferation of cheap copy parts and the ease with which one can obtain them makes this a very difficult problem to tackle.

I try to avoid buying them nowadays if I can, and only consider them if the original item is no longer available. It amazes me how many expensive motorbikes I see adorned with the cheapest nastiest aftermarket parts.

One bike manufacturer I take exception with is Harley Davidson, I’ve bought their expensive official accessory parts in the past, and found them to often be very cheaply made, low quality items, all made in the far East. These are the official parts too! So where Harley is concerned, I have actually bought copy-parts, and found them to be as good if not better than the ‘official’ item.

James
    Participant

Most of my bikes are so old that there’s no such thing as original parts available any more, so this is mostly new to me. My Fazer has a few bits, none of them made by Yamaha, but from proper (?) suppliers like Renntec, Bagster. That was all done 20 years ago and the market does seem to have changed dramatically.

I’m convinced enough to not buy more of the cheap Chinese copies again, but figuring out which ones they are may be tricky in some cases. My hand guards, for example, seem to be some generic tat bought from a UK seller but probably from China. Are they a copy? Probably not. Places like eBay and Amazon are likely full of this stuff.

While looking at changing my bars, one option is new clamps. Where they fit to the yoke has a raised circular section, so clamps that roughly match would look better. The only ones I could find were generic Chinese ones. They might be OK, but I’m not willing to find out for such an important part.

TEGDOG
    Participant

Thanks for the info James…. I appreciate all I can learn about the Svart no matter where the parts are sourced from!  Does that makes me a Shill too… oh well been called worse by betteer people. LOL

James
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll own up to still having the parts on the bike. I’m still pretty dubious about the engine protectors, but while throwing away the box that the rad cover came in, I found an adhesive strip of padding, I assume to stop it rattling. Not that it does, probably because I cut the bare minimum off the plastic guards on either side of the rad.

MuddySvart
    Participant

Currently dealing with a Chinese company from eBay that sold me a full exhaust system with straight midpipe shipped for about $250. I would have gotten nice stuff, but since I’m backdating the exhaust from 2020 to pre-2020 I didn’t want to invest a ton of money only to run into unforeseen issues. Lo and behold I did and long story short now I’m in the middle of an evap delete which is also not going according to plan (despite being 2 years old now apparently some companies are still not aware of the degree to which the bikes changed in 2020).

Anyway I was assured that the system would fit together provided that I use the OEM exhaust clamps and gaskets. I ordered some from AOMC for the backdated model. Unfortunately the OEM clamp absolutely will not hold the header and midpipe together. In fact the clamp won’t even close around the flange. To their credit the company rep has been polite and helpful to this point, but I’ve now been passed off to another department to try and resolve the issue and I’m about ready to just throw my hands up, return the system, and go comp werkes instead. At this point between the system, the fittings, and missed ride time I’m not even really saving that much and that’s assuming that the company can figure out what the hell is wrong with the part that they sent me.

Sometimes it’s better to know that something has been designed and built by people who know what they’re doing.

MuddySvart
    Participant

Well here we are 3 weeks later. The clamp came in and while it did hold the header and midpipe together unlike the clamp I was told that I would need, the entire system is too long to fit on the bike. I believe the header has just been designed or manufactured incorrectly. I’m obtaining an RMA and returning the system. It has now been over a month of downtime. I believe that I will be getting a full refund of the purchase price, but I’m out the clamps and gaskets that I was told I would need (about $50 shipped) as well as the return shipping amount ($??). Thankfully the return address is in the US because lord only knows how much it would have been for return shipping to China.

I guess this is a warning regarding these kits. I see them everywhere on eBay and they almost all ship out of the same city in Kentucky from what I can only assume is the same warehouse. I would caution anyone against purchasing one of the full exhaust systems. The catback or slipon systems may be fine as I understand that they are designed to work with the OEM header, but I think there is a serious issue with the included header pipe in these full kits. If you’re a 2020+ owner looking to backdate your exhaust on the cheap my suggestion is to at least buy yourself an OEM header. Looking into it you save maybe $10 over OEM on the header anyway so it’s just not worth the time and frustration.

After this bad experience I have an OEM header on the way and I will be exploring my options for a catback system.

James
    Participant

I thought I’d responded to your last post, but not seeing anything. That’s a pretty crappy experience that you’ve had, sorry to hear that, but good that you’ve given others the warning. Anything important is probably worth spending the extra on for a bit of confidence.

halls
    Participant

Hi,

I just signed for a 2022 Svartpilen on Tuesday and pick up is next week. With the new routing of the exhaust, the ground clearance is poor and I really want to go off-road.

So my question is, if anyone have changed to this kind of exhaust system?

Will it be too loud (if that now is a problem)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403298939343?Duke Exhaustfits=Submodel%3ADuke%7CModel%3A390%7CMake%3AKTM&hash=item5de67d71cf:g:37YAAOSwg3hhkxHm

MuddySvart
    Participant

Hello halls,

This is the style of exhaust that I was discussing in my posts above from the same exact seller (although mine was not the hi slung version). I would implore you not to purchase the full kit as I don’t believe that these kits have been designed properly. If you want to take a chance on it I would suggest buying an OEM header from a 2018-2019 390/401 and getting the cat back version of that system without the header included.

Also keep in mind that there is no existing mounting point for an exhaust like that on our bikes. The support for that exhaust attaches to the passenger footpeg mount of the Duke which our bikes of course do not have. So assuming that the cat back and header mount up properly, you will still need to figure out how and where to support the exhaust on the frame. I’m not saying you can’t do it, I’m just saying it’s not going to be a PNP kind of deal.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.