Charcoal canister delete for 2019 Vit 401.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Scubadubbers
    Participant

I finally decided to remove the charcoal canister on my 2019 401.  Saves some weight, cleans up the bike, and it is nearly free to do.  Possible performance gains.

Charcoal canister delete;

1. Remove side fairing on the clutch side.

2. Disconnect the 2 lines on the bottom of the canister.

3. Pull out the charcoal canister.  It is held in with 2 rubber sleeves.  Just wiggle it out. Remove the rubber sleeves too.

4. One of the lines on the bottom is connected to the large drain line from the tank overfill with a “Y” connection.  Remove the large line, the “Y” connection, and the small length of hose that went to the canister.

5. Cap the vacuum line that goes back to the injection system.  It can be done by putting a screw in the end of it or remove the line to the next connection and put a vacuum end cap on the nipple.  I used the vacuum end cap so I could eliminate as much as possible off the bike.

6. Re-route the tank overfill line.  I chose to run it as far back as I could to the tail fairing keeping it fully hidden.

7. Re-install the fairing and enjoy.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

*NOTE!

This may cause the CEL to illuminate.

This is due to the ECU thinking that the purge valve has failed.

I am waiting for the Rottwiler dongle for the RC390 to arrive so I can see if it corrects the light.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

*UPDATE!

The Rottwiler dongle for the RC390 works.

$20 = no CEL

Vanessa
    Participant

Nice!

Gavin
    Participant

thanks for the post I have a dongle thing and I plan on removing mine tonight on my ’18 401 Vit. I have printed out your list!

LuisLAN
    Participant

OP mentioned “possible performance gains” besides the weight loss. Are there any?

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@LuisLAN

Besides the weight loss, the other gain is if you are running a tune or ECU piggyback (I’m running a COBB) it will tune more true.  I am also running this with all my case vents deleted from the intake box as well.  The only air that is in my intake is fresh air from outside the bike.

If you are looking to keep your intake and throttle body clean and extend the life of the engine, I would highly recommend the case vents deleted from the intake box.

Is any of this necessary, nah.  Is it a move in the right direction and something I enjoy, hell yeah 😎.  Just want to share so others can enjoy as well.

LuisLAN
    Participant

@Scubadubber

I enjoy reading about all the mods and all the info posted here, I’m glad we newbies have a place where we can ask questions and get some first hand experience answers to quench our curiosity.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

LinTux
    Participant

Hello!

4. One of the lines on the bottom is connected to the large drain line from the tank overfill with a “Y” connection.  Remove the large line, the “Y” connection, and the small length of hose that went to the canister.

Do I understand correctly that in the 2019 model you had one line going to the tank overflow and only one line (the same overflow) coming out of the tank? on mine (2020), the design is different, two lines come out of the tank, one overflow and the second to the canister through the Y connector, the lower part of which is connected to a plugged line (with a plug at the end). I’m thinking about whether to plug this second line right at the tank or connect it to the overflow.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@LinTux

Yes there are 2 lines, a vapor recovery line and an overflow line.   I wrote overflow line, but should have written vapor recovery line 🤦🏼‍♂️…  Keep both the vapor recovery line and the overfill line unplugged as they need to be open to prevent vapor lock.  The plug that is in place from the factory is to allow you to drain a flooded line to the evap canister without removing it.

The diagram for the 2020 evap system is below.  Looks identical to the 2019.   The items with a red dot are to be removed.  Line #7 is the vacuum line that needs to be plugged. The connector from the bike side for the purge valve, #9, can be connected to a bypass dongle made for the RC390 for no risk of a CEL (I got mine from Rottweiler Performance for $20).  Do not plug line #5! It is necessary to allow the tank to breathe and prevent a vapor lock.  The second line you asked about runs parallel to #5 line and is the overflow line.

2020 evap diagram
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Hope this helps.</p>

Gavin
    Participant

My system removed… from a 3/18 build..

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Gavin.
    J.B.
    Participant

Thank you for this thread. I just did it last night. It was really helpful!!

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@Gavin

@J.B.

Glad it helped.

MuddySvart
    Participant

A word of caution for 2020+ owners thinking of doing this. I bought the Canister Delete Kit B from Rottweiler Performance which is listed as fitting “390 Duke/RC (ALL),” but as of the time of this post that is incorrect. The connector changed in 2020 and the dongles that fit older models are not compatible. I notified Rottweiler Performance of this change as well as providing pictures showing how and why the dongle did not fit over a week ago. Although I was assured by Rottweiler support that the issue would be resolved, at this time the kit is still listed incorrectly on their product page. I had assumed that Rottweiler would want to correct this issue as soon as possible to prevent them having to process returns on this item, but for some reason they have not done so. To their credit they’ve been very responsive and polite in dealing with me, but at this time I feel like I need to let people know so that they don’t mistakenly buy this kit expecting it to fit their 2020+ bike.

I understand why the mistake may have been made. Many websites that have diagrams and part numbers for these bikes incorrectly show that the exhaust and evap system on 390 models did not change in 2020 (with my part number site of choice being among them). Not shocking, but disappointing given that we’re now 3 model years into the redesign.

Again they’ve been very reasonable in their dealings with me and this isn’t meant to be some kind of rant against them. They offered me a full refund when I balked at the prospect of waiting a few weeks for a dongle that might work so I’m confident that they have no ill-intent and they will get this figured out. If I notice in the future that they have corrected the listing I will reply to this post indicating as much.

I ended up going with the SmartMoto kit PVE-031. The kit is a little more expensive and DHL was the only shipping option for me so that was a good bit more expensive as well, but it’s here and I can confirm that the dongle does fit the newer connector. The SmartMoto kit says in the bag that installation instructions can be found on their site, but instructions for this kit are not on their site at this time. While I find this slightly disappointing, it’s not a deal-breaker so much as just something to know. I grabbed the Side Stand Switch eliminator SSB-019 while I was there since I was already paying the higher price for DHL shipping and while I haven’t fitted it yet (because of course it also has no instructions), it was listed as specific to 2020+ 390/401 models so I am confident that it will work as intended when I figure out how to install it.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@MuddySvart

Nice find for the 2020+ owners. The write up is specifically for the 2019, but your info will help others with newer models achieve the cannister delete.

Rottweiler and SmartMoto are both great companies with quality parts and good customer service.  I’m glad they had one that worked for you.

Did you complete the cannister delete?  Any pics of the bike?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.