Chain rubbing new rear tire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I have a 2018 vitpilen that’s been on the road less than 2 years (bought it brand new in august 2019). It now has 10500km (about 6000miles) and I replaced the tires  at about 9000km. I used original size Battlax Hypersport S22z</p>
    I went on a fairly long (1600km/1000miles) road trip after the tire change and on the last day I noticed there signs of the chain rubbing against the tire. Only the rivet head was rubbing.

I went back to the dealer who made the tire change and they tell me the issue is that the chain is getting old and under hard acceleration can become loose and bend towards the tire.

Does it make sense that the chain would need to be changed so early? (I was under the impression I’d change that a lot further down the line)

and does it make sense that a “loose” chain under hard acceleration would hit the tire?

thanks for your inputs!

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I noticed my chain is pretty close to the tire but the chain would have to be in pretty bad condition to rub against the tire I believe.  What’s the life on these chains? Maybe it’s time for a new chain.</p>

Participant

have you/they checked if the rear wheel is aligned properly or skewed towards the chain?

Try this to get an indication of how worn out the chain is:
    Just above the swingarm, try to pull the chain away from rear sprocket, towards the rear.
    Does the chain feels loose here and can you actually pull it away from the sprocket?

Also, how does your sprockets look like? front and rear

Participant

I’ve been trying to get a feel for the lifecycle of the chain but I haven’t been able to find anything conclusive. The dealer tells me it’s about 10 000km. I’ve seen people on dukes with as little as 8000km before they changed and some with over 20 000km…

They tell me the alignement is good. I’ll try to pull off the chain away from the rear sprocket and see how the chain feels. The chain didn’t feel so loose that they flagged it when they replaced the tire but that was 1600km ago so it might have changed. One thing I do know is that if I press on the chain sideways towards the tire, only minimal pressure is required to get the chain to make contact.

I’ll try the pull off the sprocket trick and update here afterwards.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarThe Swede.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarThe Swede.
    Participant

All right so I’ve tried pulling the chain out at the rear sprocket and it won’t budge. The sprocket also looks to be in perfect shape…

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

ok, one 160/60 is wider than the other. I noticed the chain was rubbing the rear tire when I still had the S21’s. Yes the wheel was properly aligned, chain a little loose. The bike was only between 1000-2000 mile old when I made this pic, so can’t have been poor chain wear or anything.

switched to Contis and it never came back.

Participant

That’s EXACTLY the pattern I got, weird thing is that it doesn’t seem to have aggravated. At this point, I’m thinking maybe the issue is that I put air in my tire in the morning that day and then went for a ride and the temperature actually came up quite a bit… so Maybe the tires expanded just so because of the heat differential and rubbed a bit…

Anyways turns out chain and sprocket is not super expensive so I’m having those replaced… Chain is two years old and I am on the heavier side so… we’ll see! Good to know you haven’t had the problem with Continentals!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.