CAN ABS FAILURE

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I recently purchased a new 2018 Vitpilen 401. After riding approx. 250 miles I saw a note on the dash that read “CAN ABS FAILURE”, at which point the yellow ABS indicator on the dash went off. Previously, the ABS light had always been on at all times when riding.

</p>
    Now whenever I turn the bike on the ABS indicator is illuminated until I start riding 10 feet or so. I’m wondering, is the ABS indicator light on constantly for most people, or does it usually turn off once you begin riding?

I’m new to riding, so apologies if this is a very basic question. Thanks!

Participant

yes its normal that abs light is on for a couple of meters, i had the abs can bus failure which likely linked with an ignition fail and then a too fast restart by pushing while display restarts on the fly at down or up streets or circles… let it read out with the tool, after the reset of those errors i didnt had any issues anymore—but yeah i also clean disk brakes to be sure that its not loaded with some crap in case of real abs failure (but you can switch abs off – check manual for the two button to be pushed.. may you had it accidentally pressed cheers

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar-373-Arrow. Reason: add stuff
    Participant

Thanks so much for your response, it’s certainly a scary thing to have happen when riding at fast speeds. Just to confirm, when you’re typically riding the ABS light is not on? Thanks

Participant

I think you just “fixed” your ABS by doing that. So, usually when the light is ON it means that the ABS is NOT working. It’s a warning indicator. Meaning, your ABS might not have been working before. I’m guessing it’s your front one because you can achieve the ABS failure by letting the rear tyre spin while holding the front brake engaged. In which case the ABS will fail to do it’s job. Once you power off and back on it seems to reset, which in your case seems to have been a good thing.

If you get the same issue again, check the ABS sensors. There might be a loose wire or they might just be dirty? I’m not an expert but NO warning lights is usually a good thing.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.