Buy a 2020, or wait for a 2021?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fourfiftyare
    Participant

I recently sold my little Grom to purchase a Svartpilen 401 but couldn’t find one anywhere in Michigan. Recently I found a 2020 Svart and Vit that a dealership just received (still crated) . I have been seeing what seems to be a fair amount of electrical issues with them but also not sure what years are being affected. I was quoted around $5800 out the door with the $4999 MSRP. Do you think I should jump on the 2020 with such a short riding season left here in Michigan, or wait for the 2021’s and risk the MSRP going up?

svartypants
    Participant

I just picked up a 2020 (yesterday). Same situation — it was still in the crate on Tuesday. I was happily surprised to discover the 2020 model has a proper Supermoto mode (that is even remembered between rides) unlike the 2019 and prior.

The dealer’s explanation for the current pricing is that it was necessary to deal with the fuel tank leak/recall that happened right as the pandemic hit. Apparently this caused the replacement parts to take a few months to arrive which meant a lot of bikes that couldn’t be ridden sitting on the floor since nobody wants to buy a bike they can’t ride. They said their cost on the bike was “still” $5,199 even though they were selling them at $4,999 so they didn’t think this pricing was going to be a long term thing. Take that with the usual dealer salesman grain of salt.

-svartypants 401

Scubadubbers
    Participant

401s didn’t have the tank leak issue…

Scubadubbers
    Participant

My 2019 has been flawless the first 1k miles.  If I were y’all, I’d look for a 2019, pay less for it, and enjoy it just as much as a 2020/2021.  I’ve also heard that 2021+ might not happen due to slow sales.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.