Break In

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 401104 401104 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

So I have 130 miles on the 401. I generally understand break in on anything to be at least 500 miles. I have heard people say don’t rev over 8k, some say 10k. What were your practices and recommendations. I find it basically impossible to ride the bike below 7500 rpm. I’m trying to keep the bike under 9000.

logikk
    Participant

@Matthew the shift light blinks at the RPM you should shift at during break in. It is annoyingly low though. The break in period is 1000km so about 620 miles. I haven’t hit it yet but supposedly the bike will alert you once you’ve passed that so you can take it in for the first service. After that service you can safely rev it out. If you rev it out before that you risk damage from metal filings in the oil, I believe.

Anonymous

My opinion on break-in is: It’s important to use the full engine range (not just a constant rpm); use all the gears and get them comfortably broken in; practice emergency stops and learn how the brakes work; dive into corners when the tires are warmed up and find the point they begin to slip away. You can do all of this while working the engine up to the warning light. Find a wicked twisty road and go work that section over and over.

That’s it, in my opinion.

Participant

The manual states 80% throttle and under 7k for the first 620 miles. The shift light is locked until then also. It’s an on your honor break in so everyone will have their own method/style. I’m of the opinion that you should let them warm up always, then ride it how you would, while trying to stay within the manufacturers suggested limits.

I’m just over 300 miles into mine with the oil and filter waiting. The oil is nasty already but I’m going to try and hold out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.