BRAKES!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SH
    Participant

Check your brake lines people. My front brake let go on my ride this morning leaving me with no front brake, not a pleasant experience on the roads of North Yorkshire!
    fluid was escaping from the banjo on the caliper. Ive had enough of this bike now, build quality is worse than a 1980’s Ducati!

jpgibson
    Participant

Hopefully not be a build quality issue. If its from the banjo, maybe the bike was knocked there and loosened it slightly. The lines are J Juan ( I believe) and they’re on just about everything!.Has it stopped leaking with a tighten, or is there a defect in the banjo?

Glad you’re OK

SH
    Participant

The bike was recovered to the dealer because its under warranty, so i didn’t have chance to check torque anything. The brake line is weird on these because the bleed nipple is on the banjo and not the caliper itself. When i had a look nothing was “finger loose”  but the whole area was covered in fluid, so i suspect its either the banjo and its washers or the bleed nipple thats loosened enough to leak. We are after all talking some serious fluid pressures in there. Just posted this for everyone to check torque theirs as it really nearly was a “brown bread” situation!

SH
    Participant

Update from the dealer. The mechanic has told me that the brake union was over tightened at manufacture causing one of the copper washers to fracture causing a leak under pressure. Worth checking yours for piece of mind.

Max Kool
    Participant

That’s nearly impossible (but good he found it!). All torque wrenches in modern assembly factories are computer controlled nowadays. They have databases of all torque values used on each bolt per VIN. So they can always track in case of a recall…

(I bet the mechanic overtightened it and split the crush washer)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Max Kool.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.