BoosterPlug- snake oil?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jherrild
    Participant

Sorry in advance, this is going to be a fair amount of text.

I bought a BoosterPlug for my Svartpilen 401 and installed it, as the technical explanation on their website about how it only modifies the open loop operation, and that most bikes run lean stock, seemed sound based on my limited understanding. Having not been able to find much in the form of hard data, I decided to just buy one and install it since they have a 30 day refund policy.

Fast forward to today- I called a local Dyno shop to ask if they would Dyno my bike with and without the BoosterPlug, just to see if it helps or hurts, and the guy essentially refused. He told me that BoosterPlugs don’t work, especially on Duke 390/Husqvarna 401, as he says the majority of acceleration is done within the closed loop, and thus is not impacted by the BoosterPlug. Furthermore, he went on to claim that the 401 only runs lean at sustained high RPM, and that they were running “an ideal fuel mixture” at low RPM/acceleration.

The problem is, while I know as well as anyone that my butt dyno is worthless, the BoosterPlug DID feel like it cleared up the jerky on/off operation at low RPM in first gear. Whats more, I know the guy at this Dyno shop would love to sell me a PowerCommander V, and a custom tune, so I’m inclined to take his advice/knowledge with a grain of salt since he sort of has a vested interest in defaming BoosterPlug…

Has anyone had their bike Dyno’d? Does anyone use a BoosterPlug? Is anyone more knowledgeable than me able to explain why he is or isn’t correct in his analysis?

tl;dr I was told my BoosterPlug doesn’t do shit, and probably only hurts my bike’s performance- I’m happy to accept that if it’s true, but I’m not sure if I trust a person who also wants to sell me a competing product, and refused to test mine to prove it. Does anyone have data to support or discredit his claim?

jpgibson
    Participant

I’ve used one on a BMW 1200 GS and a Husky Nuda 900. I currently have a Svartpilen 701. What they do is ‘fool’ the intake air sensor into thinking the air temp is lower than it actually is, thus more dense thus needs more fuel. This helps with the low rpm and load situation as this is where ( I think) emissions tests are carried out and therefore the bike is tuned lean ( ie relatively less fuel per air unit) so they pass! That’s why in closed loop ( ie the lambda senor aka O2 probe) they run a bit shit. Having said all that, my 2019 701 was tuned WAY  better from factory than my previous KTM’s etc and this one doesnt even stall at lights! What isnt good is how hot the bike gets.Again, related to air fuel ratio being lean. I bought a plug from eBay from an Aussie seller and this has richened up the bottom end. Similar to kev’s O2 mod( he has two: one that goes inline with O2 sensor and one in the IAT sensor) I suspect. The Booster plug works until, and I’m not sure if KTM’s ECU’s does this, relearns or adapts and tries to put everything back to factory settings. The BMW and Husky ( also a BMW) did this and you’d use GS911 to reset the adaptations. If you’re after more performance including after changing exhaust or intake, this ISNT for you. If you want the bike to run a bit better off idle and not stall, then it is OK.

If youre modding, then a PowerCommander ( or Rapidbike etc) and dyno is what’s required.

Satur9
    Participant

what he said. Also you probably wouldn’t see my much of a power increase anyway. I bought mine only to smooth out engine and not make it run so lean. I don’t even have butt Dyno data. Because I installed it before I went for first ride. These bikes (701) are notoriously lean. As you can even tell by looking at most headers pipes. It accomplished what I wanted it to do so I’m satisfied with my purchase.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

Is anyone using the Booster Plug and a Coober ECU together?

Max Kool
    Participant

Get a fuel dongle instead. It’s cheaper, and works.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@Max Kool

I’ll check them out, but my main concern is if a Booster Plug or fuel dongle will be compatible and beneficial with my already installed Coober ECU…

Nampus
    Participant

If you speak German watch this:

https://youtu.be/nZ2WBya6bjQ

What he says in the video and in the comments basically comes to: not worth it on the 701, the booster plug makes the bike run way to rich causing the oil to thin with fuel.

Even with the airbox lid removed it will be way to rich.

B.I.Savage
    Participant

Fast alle mit nem KTM Motorrad können Deutsch sprechen, oder?
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>From what I’ve heard the 690 has this fuel/oil mixing moreso than the 390, but yes, valid point.</p>

Max Kool
    Participant

If you already have a Coober ECU, this will only make it run worse I guess. Isn’t the Coober already designed to give the best running bike?

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@Max Kool

Thanks for the heads up. The Coober definitely makes the bike run stronger.  I have a cat delete, muffler delete, intake, and open box with the Coober, but still get the lean “pops” from the exhaust.  It’s probably from my setup.  I don’t want to change it and was hoping that adding a simple plug would give me everything the Coober has, my current exhaust setup, and a more rich A/F mix for less pop.

I have decided to just enjoy it as I have it now.  ( I like the “pops”)

SvartGuy
    Participant

If anyone wants to try the boosterplug I have one that was on my bike for maybe 3 months, took it off once I got the Dynotune done. Original box and everything

ABs18Vit401
    Participant

SvartGuy did you happen to do a dyno run with the bike with booster plug installed? curious how rich/overly rich it runs with plug installed at upper rpms.

Max Kool
    Participant

Yeah, the Vit already runs rich in the upper rpm band/throttle openings.

ABs18Vit401
    Participant

I see MaxKool.

Thing is though is that to my understanding anyway is the booster plug is designed in manner where it really only enrichens air/fuel mix at low to mid rpm range where the bike cannot adjust itself due to its 02 sensor design. The ecu’s ability to adjust takes over at upper rpm range as it should. That’s what I think I have learned anyway. I will be curious to dyno my bike after booster plug/cat delete/slip on/(filtered) open airbox cover to see if its running in a healthy range.

Anybody else take the time to dyno vit/svart 401 with booster plug? curious to see…

Max Kool
    Participant

I don’t expect any gains on a dyno, most is trimmed away imho by the ECU. The Boosterplug was “designed” to improve/smooth out trottle response, not to gain power.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.