Bike randomly stalling while riding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Hachirou
    Participant

So this has happened twice now while riding home from work. I pull the clutch in and go to shift down and rev up the bike and suddenly I have no power and realise the bike has just stalled. I was doing about 40mph and slowing down. Same thing happened again to day, slowing down, pull clutch in, shift and rev a little to let clutch out but the bike stalls. I’m pretty sure its stalling before i even release the clutch but I cant be certain because its catching me by surprise and its only happened twice so far but twice is enough to be concerned!

Any idea whats going on here? it’s kind of scary to think its just stalling out of no where.

Dark
    Participant

Hi Hachirou, you solved the problem.
    It happened to me recently in 5 speed releasing gas, suddenly engine stopped.

Simon Alexander
    Participant

It happened to me when I changed exhaust and removed db killer.

Dark
    Participant

Hi Simon! How did you solve it? my bike is all factory

Simon Alexander
    Participant

I added DB killer back and the problem was solved to me.

onearmslippy
    Participant

It’s happened to me 2-3 times riding home from work as well. Not sure what I was doing exactly when it happens, but feels more like the ignition is cutting rather than stalling. I usually ride moderate to higher speeds so not sure if it’s related to how hard I had been riding that specific commute home or if it’s something that’s happening as an isolated thing. I’ve also noticed the T/C and ABS lights on the dash flicker on and off rapidly sometimes without any reason. Sometimes I’ll just be cruising in a straight line (retaining traction the whole time) and they’ll flash for a second or two and then go away.

David Brazil
    Participant

Possible it is your quick-shift kicking in before you actually shift. If you put some pressure on the shift lever, but not enough to shift gears, you can still actuate your quick-shift, which will result in symptoms as you describe.

You can alter the position of the shifter lever a bit to give you some more room before shifting or you can just alter your style a bit to make decisive shifts when you are ready.

I had the same issue on the ride home from picking up the bike. Constant, until I figured out what was going on and altered my style. Once home, I moved the shift lever up a bit, so it doesn’t trip the switch as easily.

Cheers.

E.A. Wooten
    Participant

I managed to catch it on camera a few days ago as well finding out the bike doesn’t start unless it’s in neutral, even with the clutch pulled.

Anyone else notice this?

SvePil
    Participant

Am i wrong, is the motor cutting out right when you pull in your clutch lever?

StillLife
    Participant

This seems to be a common issue with the 401’s and Duke 390 as well. It seems no one really knows the cause and there has been speculations as to the cause from rider shifting error, clutch adjustment, too lean of a f/a mixture, to a tight engine not broken in yet. I was having the same issue on my 401 that went away after I put about 1000 mi on it. I don’t know if the engine just broke in more or if I just ride different, but the problem is gone.

Max Kool
    Participant

This is a 701 thread…

Anyway, mine does it too every now and then, but I can’t put my finger on it when it does, and when it doesn’t. Some rides it stall two times within an hour, and then for weeks it doesn’t.

StillLife
    Participant

Very well…

Check the Duke 690 forums for more info. Best of luck.

E.A. Wooten
    Participant

@SvePil I think it’s more timed to the downshift which was right after I pulled in the clutch.

I came from a Duke 390 with the same issue it was rare on that bike and happens even less on this 701.

I wouldn’t even consider the stalling an issue; it’s probably happened twice in ~900mi, maybe. But, I don’t want to have to search for neutral to get it restarted so that’s a bigger concern in my mind.

Francis G
    Participant

Same problem here, 250 km on the bike, 2021 401. the engine cut, while a downshift from 4-3 and 3-2 once in a while. it happenned 5 times. Is it worth to bring it back to the dealer ?

I’m a beginner, I have the same experience than my bike, and now I don’t feel to confident.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Francis G.
    Max Kool
    Participant

This is a 701 thread… different bike altogether.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.