Best way to achieve this build

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Qwandree Qwandree 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    manu
    Participant

Hi, long time lurker from Paris here, I plan to acquire a secondhand 401 before the summer. After trying both, I have been hesitating between the Svart and the Vit.

I much prefer the Vitpilen’s color scheme, especially the copper in the rims, the black engine braces, and the black fork clamps. These parts are left unpainted in the Svartpilen, giving it a rougher look that feels a bit « rushed » in my opinion. But I am used to an upright riding position so it would make more sense for me to pick the Svartpilen, even though I’m not a fan of its looks.

Yesterday I came across this amazing build which is pretty much what I am looking for : the best of both worlds, a « Greypilen » :).

Greypilen

I know it may seem a bit of a sacrilege for some, but my question is : what would be the easiest route to achieve this ?

A- Buy a Vitpilen (just like the guy above did), buy Svart’s handlebar, buy (and paint ?) Svart’s triple top clamp + all the screws and handlebar holder ≈ 390$ according to ktmpartspro.com + it’s probably going to need larger brake and clutch cables, but i could technically do it by myself.

or…

B- Buy a Svartpilen, paint both fork clamps, paint both wheels (buying wheels is not an option since they cost like 600€ each). I have no experience with sending a motorcycle to a paintshop so I wouldn’t know if painting those parts is realistic / affordable…

PS: For the moment, I don’t care about tire type or seat differences, skid plate or reservoir rack presence, etc. It’s all about the Vitpilen’s overall more finished look with the Svartpilen’s riding position.

What would you guys do ? Thanks!

S_Esquire
    Participant

If the only thing you’re concerned about is the bars then you can also just remove the clipons from the Vitpilen and have someone drill and tap the top triple clamp for dirt bike bars just like ‘stunt’ riders do on sports bikes. (Or do it yourself, it’s pretty easy and there’s a tonne of youtube tutorials.)

The only potential compromise to this method is the clamps where the Vitpilen bars mount would remain, but that could be a feature should you ever try to sell it the next owner then can choose to return it to original.

If you have the cash to blow then your option A is the most logical, buy a Vitpilen bike and buy the OEM Svartpilen triple clamp setup and paint it yourself at home or have it powder coated for a more durable professional finish..

If you REALLY have cash to blow, buy a Svartpilen and have all the raw alloy parts (triple clamps, rims, engine mounts) powder coated a nice complimentary colour to match your new custom paint job, this would be the most expensive but most ‘custom’ of the 3 options.

Edit: Here’s a 3rd party top triple kit I just found .. https://ab-m.de/en/motorcycle-accessories-shop-details/1/test/20/kit-superbike?model=3212

Probably some simpler aftermarket setups with just risers to lift the stock Vitpilen bars awell if you search around.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar S_Esquire.
    Tim
    Participant

Have you seen the ABM handlebar kit?

https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Husqvarna-Vitpilen-401-ABM-Superbike-Fat-Bar-Handlebar-Kit

Might be the easiest way to get more comfortable bars. Comes with a longer clutch cable too.

manu
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas @S_Esquire. I didn’t think of drilling the the top triple clamp but after consideration it might not be the smartest move because :

1. The Vitpilen’s top triple clamp is very narrow. Drilling area is super small and tricky, would have to do the holes on edge of the bent part… Doesn’t make me feel really confident safety-wise.

2. As you say, the original Vitpilen clamps would remain empty. It think it would look wrong.

I guess I’m going for the ABM handlebar kit that @Tim also pointed out. Seemed expensive at first but compared to the OEM  triple clamp setup price + cables, it’s the best value and less of a hassle to get the different parts.

I hope the Vitpilen switches and the clutch lever will fit easily on the new bar without additional mods other than the ABM kit. I know I will have to use some shims since the Svartpilen handlebar has a 25.4 mm clamping area and the ABM kit has 28mm clamps, but other that it should be simple 🙂

pants1963
    pants1963
    Participant

Its pretty straight forward changing the standard Vitpilen bars to the ABM ones, and everyrhing is included. The instructions will be in German though.

pants1963
    pants1963
    Participant

pants1963
    pants1963
    Participant

eliud
    Participant

My greypilen! 

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar eliud.
    Qwandree
    Qwandree

Haha looks awesome, mate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.