Best urban tire?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I guess it also depends on your urban environment…..mine was Brooklyn, and there is so much general debris, gravel/sand and uneven road surface that tires with a more robust tread seemed to fare and perform better than straight road tires. At least that’s my personal experience.

ECJ

Participant

ECJ, I guess that is fair, if it gets really deep I could see some advantage to ADV tires.  Knowing you terrain is pretty important and it sounds like you do.

Roadkill, I would carefully examine the type of conditions you actually see in your environment.  This may be obvious already but the purpose of Knobby tires is to sink down into dirt/sand/ mud and actually push off of it with the sides of the tread.  Light sand or gravel on top of asphalt SUCKS for traction no matter what. You can’t dig into it and you can’t grip it.  When you get into that kind of stuff you’ve really got to count on experience (and electronic aids) to bail you out.  I see those light sandy, gravely condition a lot. For that I like to enjoy an extremely sticky road tire to grip what little pavement is available and let 25 years of offroad experience handle the rest.

Participant

Even though they are labeled as such, I don’t really think of the Scorpion Rally STR’s as true ADV tires……

They are maybe a 70/30 or 80/20 street tire. They do ‘ok’ on dry dirt and light gravel, but that’s about it for offload (the regular Scorpion Rally tires are a different story).

I find them remarkably well planted and grippy in wet or dry conditions on the 2 lane curvy paved roads that I ride the most. I live off of 5 miles of dirt road, and often hit a patch of dirt here and there where I live, so they are nice for those moments as well.

Roadkill- I totally agree with ShohnJohn that you gotta know your environment to make the right and informed choice. Let us know what you decide!

ECJ

B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

So took my new Michelin Street tires out for a run.

They have the same size and speed ratings as the stock Pirellis (which were out of stock…) and they Performed as advertised.

Noticed (vs. Scorps.) I was a bit surprised although about what I expected.

1. Less teeth chatter over really rough patches, pot holes, and cobble stones.
    2. Less uneasiness over the black crack repair tar.
    3. Less stopping distance and less abs intervention on wet leafy sections and under fruit trees.
    4. Less forward traction on wet grass and gravel.
    5. Less NVH (noise / vibration / harshness)

For a commuter bike I expect the Michelins to fit the bill.

Participant

While I’ve been quite happy with the Pirelli STR, I think I’ll give some consideration to the Dunlop Mutant Crossover for my next set of tires.  It would seem to give up some off-road capability for better on road manners.

Participant

Thank you B.I.Savage for the comparison. It really helps to get an actual comparison like that. I will surely be getting the Michellin Road 5’s after my Scorpions wear out.

Participant

I ran the Scorpion STRs for about 2000km

They are very good, even in the wet, but with the summer high temperatures I was literaly chewing the rear and had the front tuck in couple of times.

As my use is 95% road I went with the Metzler M7RRs which I had run on my other bikes as well even in winter with subzero temperatures.
    In Italy with snow on the road bike are not allowed to run, so even with M+S tyres it’s very risky and the roads generally have tons of salt so you have to beware of ice sheets. M7RRs can handle some snow and very light offroad if dry and are so much faster and safer on tarmac

The new Dunlop Mutant do not come in small sizes and are from 180 to 190 rear, the old ones are a SM/Dual tyre and are great but will not last you very long if you have high temps

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.