Best urban tire?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I would like to have a discussion on the best urban tire for this bike.. could it be the same tire this bike comes with?

Here is what I’m looking for:

100% road tire, but that can handle pot holes and all sorts of shitty roads.

Excellent in wet weather

Good for year round, and some extended highway use once in a while. 

Let me know! I know nothing about tires!

Participant

i just went for the newer better tire which is a great tire

bike came with Metzler M5 and i got the M7- these tires should last around 5000 miles.

Participant

I got the Continental RoadAttack3 and am very happy with them. Have done about 2000km so far, they feel way better than the stock tires in my opinion.

B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

I need new tires and nobody has the Pirelli Scorps in stock… specifically the back one which is done after 9500km.

So I had to select other ones which are available; Michelin Pilot.

Will update once I get them on the bike and work em in a bit.

Participant

Some verrrrrry different tires mentioned here..
    In narrowing it down for the best urban tires, I imagine the stock scorpions perform the best being able to handle the shitty road conditions that exist in cities. The others mentioned here seem maybe better for sport touring, or twisties, im thinking a 90/10 adventure tire that is prepared for some uneven roads would be best….</p>
    thoughts?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarRoadkill.
    B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

I was also looking at the Dunlop Mutant tires, those may be something up your alley?

Have you checked them out?

(I have no experience with them, they look cool though and have a pretty cool name)

Participant

I’m just gonna go with the most generic one. Thanks for help all. Im kinda sick of choosing between apples and oranges atm without any information. Everywhere I call its the same bullshit.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

It pretty simple to be honest, if you ride mostly off-road then get a tyre that’s biased towards off-road riding, say 80% off 20% on road.

If you ride more on road, with little excursions off-road then a 60% on 40% off-road tyre would suit, like the Pirelli Scorpion or Michelin Anakee.

If you ride exclusively on road, in both wet and dry conditions, and want good life out of your tyres then go for a Sport Touring tyre such as Michelin Pilot Road 5.

If you mostly ride in the dry on road and want the best dry grip, choose a sport tyre such as Bridgestone S22 or similar.

But, always pick a reputable brand rather than the cheapest or *what’s available*.

All road tyres are a compromise. Certain countries require the use of M+S tyres, so check your local laws.

Speaking personally, I love the look of the stock Pirelli Scorpions as they suit the style of my Svartpilen 401, but I might try a sport touring tyre next (such as the Pilot Road 5) simply because I don’t ride off-road ever. Yammie Noob loves the Pirelli Scorpions on his Ducati Desert Sled, and says they are a great all-round tyre.

B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

Yes, agree with Vanessa.

Let me rephrase, I personally chose *what’s available* to buy with money from the short list of quality tires specified for our bike type.

No name brand, or older production date tires are not an option.

Participant

Personally, I absolutely love the stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR’s, and think they are some of the best tires I’ve ever run. I like them so much that I looked into putting them on some of my older bikes (vintage BMW’s) but they are not made in the sizes I need.

I find them durable, solid on pavement in wet and dry conditions (they always feel firmly planted), and even handle a spot of dirt and gravel pretty damn well.

For urban use, I can’t imagine anything on the market that’s much better right now.

ECJ

Participant

Would you choose the Scorpion Rallys for Urban use over the Michellin Road 5? I’m not doing any dirt riding.

Thanks for the help all, this helps a lot!!

Participant

Roadkill- I think the Michelin Road 5’s are geared toward sport and sport touring, and especially excel in wet conditions (hello England).

I would choose, without hesitation, the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR’s over the Michelin Road 5’s for urban use. Please note there is a big difference between the regular Scorpion Rallies and the Rally STR tires……

ECJ

Participant

Roadkill,

I don’t how aggressive your riding style is, or how much experience you have with different style tires.  This could all be a factor but in my experience you really just want the stickiest street tire your budget will allow.  It is my opinion that the aggressive knobby style tires really don’t offer you any urban advantage. These have their place for mixed use adventure riding but the only reason they are popular on 100% road bikes is for the looks.  Since you’ve let us know you have NO offroad intentions I would completely avoid adventure tires.  Any dual compound tire will suffice for your occasional highway riding.  I’m a huge fan of Michelin Power RS and the new Power GP is supposed to be even better.  The biggest reason I like these is because of their wet traction, they stick like a DOT track tire when dry and hold better than any other street tire I ridden in the wet.  Pot holes and rough urban terrain haven’t given me any issues on any type of street tire as long as you maintain good tire pressures.  Just a quick preaching moment, PLEASE don’t buy “whatever’s on the rack” or generic tires.  A quality tire is worth every penny and quite possibly will save your life one day.

Participant

One additional note. ECJ mentions the Road 5 above.  These are supposed to be good wet tires and will definitely last longer than the Power RS.  But I do have personal experience riding these two tires back to back in rainy conditions on Tail of the Dragon.  The Power RS was noticeably better in those conditions even though the Road 5 was adequate.  Just food for thought.  I hope it helps.

ScubadubbersScubadubbers
    Participant

@ShohnJohn

@roadkill

I 100% agree with ShohnJohn and not buying any generic tire off the shelf.  Tires make a huge difference on 4 wheeled vehicles and are so much more important on a 2 wheel vehicle where traction can be the difference from a normal day and a life altering day.  Spend a few extra dollars on tires rather than a lot of dollars on doctors bills and repair costs due to a possibility preventable scenario.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.