Best fix for a lean bike?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys I’ve been following a few threads talking about different ECU and tuning options but I’m still a bit confused between all of them. I have a 701 with about 4700 miles on it, air box cover removed, DB killer removed on the original muffler, and 2.80 ratio sprocket mod. On group rides I’m always told my bike exhaust smells bad then I get on the throttle, shining a light into the exhaust I can see a lot of black soot lining the inside of the exhaust (I always full my bike up with 93 btw). From my experience with cars black soot usually means the mixture is rich, but I’ve never noticed any smoke when running it hard. I also have the same issue with the header glowing red hot as many others do.

With no tuning shop options in my area, and with a really bad experience with my dealer every time I take the bike in I don’t trust them to mess with the ECU or any of the sensors. Can you guys recommend any aftermarket mods to help level the fuel out? Or the next best “plug and play” option until I can find a tuner to work on it.

Thanks fellas!

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

I went with a slightly simplier mod and cheaper as well, running a BoosterPlug. It was fairly simply to install (however fiddly due the placement of the sensor you unplug sitting behind the frame).

I have been happy with the BoosterPlug and its performance, for its price as well.

Participant

What kind of benefits did you get from a BoosterPlug?

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

I lost a bit of power when I put the de-cat pipe on. Nothing official like getting it dyno tested, but just the feel of the bike when riding you can tell it felt a bit less responsive. I did my airbox lid mod next, which I felt made somewhat of a difference, but was hard to tell if it was just a placebo effect. It still didn’t bring the back back to prior to de-cat pipe.

Once I chucked on the BoosterPlug, it felt slightly better in my first ride. I tried to not think about it too much, and just see how it felt after a week. As the week of riding went past, I definitely noticed a different, it felt way smoother through the mid range of the revs. I also felt it had that better pickup when I needed to punch it.

Lastly, after a few weeks I chose to unplug the BoosterPlug and go for a quick ride to see if I could notice a difference going back. Definitely could, you can notice a drop in performance straight away. For $240 AUD, it was worth it in my opinion and experience.

You can read up on some more info from them here:
    https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-husqvarna-740p.html

Participant

Right on, thank man! I went on the website and read about it as soon as I saw your post, watched a few videos as well. Seams like the next best thing to going on a dyno

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

My 0.02…

The cheap and easy mods for more power and driveability are removing the airbox cover (which doesn’t lean off the engine btw), and install a Rottweiler fuel dongle. The fuel dongle eliminates the O2 sensor and makes the bike run a little richer on closed loop, and removing the airbox lid adds a few extra ponies in midrange torque/hp. These two mods don’t add extra top-end power.

These two together made my Vit701 very smooth and driveable from around 3000 rpm in the lower gears, and 3500-4000 in fourth and higher. In regards to the smell of your exhaust, you won’t know until you measure (but you can’t put a probe in the exhaust as long as you have a cat installed). If it’s indeed a little rich, at least it won’t hurt your bike. My exhaust has some black soot inside it too btw, you’re not alone. If fuel economy is good, and it doesn’t feel “fuzzy” I think there’s nothing to worry about.

It could also be the smell of a little oil burning off. One of my buddies has that on his Speed Triple.

Don’t worry about headers glowing red btw, most of my bikes have been doing that since 95. All they had in common was thinwalled stainless steel headers…

and of course, we all know this video I guess?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    Participant

Maxcool what kinda economy do you usually get? Also does your fuel gauge every show the right amount of fuel in your tank? Lol

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Typically around 50 miles a gallon, but depends on where I ride (city vs canyons).

that gauge btw, is stupid. It’s in the right hand side of the tank afaik so after the bike has been standing on the sidestand it makes no sense anymore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.