Bar End Mirrors, fashion or function?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mitch
    Participant

I never owned a bike with forward leaning ergos before I got the Vit. The stock mirrors work as well for me as I expect moto mirrors to work, and they allow me to keep my eyes up. It seems like having to look down under my arms to see the mirrors would take my eyes further off from where they need to be.

So is it just about keeping the front profile low? The Vitpilen is basically a fashion bike so that’s a legit answer. Just curious about what people with more experience with this type of bike think.

Darkarrowmoto
    Participant

the further the mirror sticks out to the side, the farther you see behind you. Its more about being able to see more than style. But the style doesnt hurt. I ordered new mirrors for my Svart before I even got it home. I have the style that looks a lot like the Husqvarna ones and keep mine pointed up, not down. But the above the bar vs below is pure preference. The end mirrors themselves, miles better than stock.

CanisMoto
    Participant

Both I think. I swapped my stock mirrors for some 3rd party bar ends. I can see better. The ones I bought are small (3inches). My impression is the Husky bar ends are larger and appear to sit over/under the grips (so not sticking out as much as mine). I will probably switch to the Huskies eventually, but just couldn’t swallow the $89 a piece!

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Canis, the quality of the Husqvarna mirrors are surprisingly better than what I expected and comparably priced (see pics).

Mitch, I have to agree with your statement about the Vitpilen being a fashion bike therefore, many of its features are not ergonomically optimized so it’s really just a matter of style and preference.

I couldn’t stand the look of the stock mirrors so I removed them immediately and rode around without any mirrors for so long that I now rarely look into the ones I’ve got. So again, I guess it’s like anything else…it’s whatever feels comfortable to your riding style and what you eventually get used to.

There are many mirror options available…it all depends on how much you want to spend. I had the same question initially but I was certain that I was not going to keep the oem’s so for me it was a toss-up between (all bar-end) the Motogadgets’ vs Rizomas’ vs Husqvarnas’ (which I chose). Although their style and finish is top notch, they have their issues, but whatever, they’ll have to do for now until something better comes along.

Perhaps a good idea would be to get a set of cheap lane-splitters and install them with the stock mirrors in place and see what works best for you…just a thought.

CanisMoto
    Participant

Not disagreeing, nor surprised by the Husky higher quality. I will probably end up replacing my 3rd party mirrors with the Huskies.

I have purchased a backup camera and lcd display that I had seen another bike use. It was very cool, but I haven’t made up my mind yet. I like the minimalist styling of the Vitpilen and don’t want to start adding bulk. I’ll keep yall posted and if I decide to use it, I’ll take pics and include the installation.

CanisMoto
    Participant

Two things I like about the Husky mirrors is 1) the mirrors themselves are larger than the 3 inch ones I have and 2) They don’t stick out making the bike wider.

Also, JohnnyLighting…please post some other photos showing your bike with the tank pads! I have been thinking about those, but wasn’t sure what they would look like…they look pretty sick!

mitch
    Participant

Good idea to ride with both for a while. I did just buy the exhaust bracket to delete my rear pegs, so I’m probably not buying any parts until the spring.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the small bit of verticality the stock mirrors bring. Although I guess up-mounted bar ends would be a good way to split the difference.

Really I’m just trying to start conversations because this forum needs more activity!

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

@canis, I put up a few more images and personal thoughts here:

https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/weight-loss-program/page/3/#post-1888

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

“Really I’m just trying to start conversations because this forum needs more activity!”

lmfao

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

“I did just buy the exhaust bracket to delete my rear pegs, so I’m probably not buying any parts until the spring.”

BTW, wait’ll you see the quality and craftsmanship that went into making that exhaust bracket…the machining pattern detail is just mind-boggling! I have to believe they intentionally did not finish it.

I know it sounds silly fussing over a non-functioning piece of aluminum but I actually considered doing an entire photo-shoot on it after spending 45mins starring at it in one hand with a glass of wine in the other.

Nph
    Participant

Just mounted the Husqvarna bar-end mirrors, bellow the handlebars but can’t seem to position them properly to get a decent idea of what is happening behind me. I am ok with looking down, but the information I get from them  I close to none.

Do these mirrors work for you in the presented set-up?

Thanks

papibuski
    Participant

Does anyone know if the internal bar end weights are removable? I’m looking into getting some crg mirrors and I’m curious the fitting i should be looking for

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by papibuski.
    Qwandree

@ papibuski

Yes they are removable.

@ Nph

I have the huskie bar ends. I installed them facing down for a while as I hated how they looked up, but was unhappy with how much head tilt I had to do while splitting (I do a lot of splitting). I didn’t find visibility to be much of an issue. I put them back to facing up but with the stems facing forward, almost forward-down. Visibility is good but they look less like mickey mouse ears on the bike.

Nph
    Participant

Well, it seems it’s just trial and error. We’ll see how much I can stand the current setup.
    Thanks

Nismo401
    Participant

It s difficult to find photos of mirrors.  I have hesitation between husky bar end mirror and aluminium mirror…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.